Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 11th, 2010 06:00

Studio XPS 16 Wifi options

Just a quick question about wireless networking options for the notebook.  I was just looking and by default it's equipped with the Dell 1501 wireless N card and since I can't seem to find the specs (can't find anything even in Dell Docs) for that card I was wondering what can that card do (spectrum and MIMO configuration mainly).  At minimum I'm looking for a 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11a/b/g/n rather than just 2.4GHz b/g/n.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 11th, 2010 06:00

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dydwfn6&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=laptop-studio-xps-16

143 Posts

May 11th, 2010 14:00

Ok now those are different options (from Dell Canada) but there still provides no info as to the whether it's dual band.  Dell US cards I can find info for on the web as they're not Intel products.  But the Dell 1501 Wireless N card, I can't find any info.

So does anyone know what the Dell 1501 wireless-N is capable of?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 11th, 2010 15:00

I don't see the 1501 - just a 1510 and a 1505, both of which are abgn.

1 Message

May 25th, 2010 09:00

I have the same question as I configure a Studio laptop for purchase; thus, I just chatted with Akhil (BE_HY_Akhil).  He didn't know either, saying Dell doesn't provide an on-line spec sheet for it.  So....you may want to simply do what I plan to do: purchase either Intel Centrino option: the Advanced-N 6200 for $30 or prepare for the up and coming 802.16e standard and buy the same capability bundled with WiMAX 6250 circuits for $60 extra.  I plan on the latter course of action, since I tend to keep hardware and use it for years.  That's why I'm buying a Dell; I know they last for years!  But it IS disconcerting that Dell doesn't tell you much about their stuff.

77 Posts

June 8th, 2010 15:00

the 1501 is not dual band, dell sent me that with my replacement stuido xps with tech support telling me its the best card out there blah blah blah lol i justmade a call and now have the highest cnfigured replacement replacement replacement laptop lol they keep making mistakes with my replacements... anyay these two cards are dual band intel 5300and intel 6200 there should be the option for them if not just give tech support a call and tell em what your looking for...

143 Posts

June 8th, 2010 18:00

Yes the problem with Dell, especially Dell Canada is often they just put the model number of the component on the  site then put nothing else on there.  That's fine for items like Intel's Advance-N 6200 or the Ultimate-N 6300 where you can get info else, but not so useful for Dell branded components like the 1501.

Even worse is that what component is available changes from time to time on Dell Canada's site.  Some times there's no choice and the 1501 is preselected, other times you get the choice between the crummy 1501,  the better 6200, and the top of the line 6300.  Same thing with the LCD panel choices, sometimes the FHD was available, sometimes, not so much.  It got so annoying, I just gave up trying to figure it out and just went for something else.

About the Wifi card, for a bit more the 6300 is worth it.  While the 6200 can do 5GHz band as well it's a 2x2 system with 2 antennae.  The 6300 is a 3x3 card with 3 antennae, which may not improve transfer rates (a compatible router needed) much, but it does have the potential to increase gain.  Plus it ensures your system is pre-wired with 3 antennae rather than 2 (cards can be changed, but installing another antenna would be a pain).

No Events found!