Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2009 12:00

Studio XPS 16 audio buzzing

I got my brand new Studio XPS 16 last week.  It has the Intel CoreTM i7-720QM and Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB.

The problem is that it's rare that I can get through playing an entire song, even with nothing else running, without experiencing some brief buzzing, sounding like the audio freezes before resuming.  It also happens when viewing video.  The audio creates a buzz sound randomly.

After spending a boat load of money on this thing, I can't believe that it can't even play music back uninterrupted.  My 6 year old desktop can still do it just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  I'm going to send it back tomorrow if Dell can't provide a good answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 8th, 2009 05:00

Did you send it back?

There are many causes of audio noise but the main two are:

> The wlan card as described in the thread Choppy/Skipping Audio Workarounds. The Dell branded (Broadcom) card is particularly bad.

> DPC latency issues as described in this thread and this thread.

2 Posts

December 8th, 2009 09:00

Thanks for the reply jimco.

Yes, I sent it back yesterday. I spent over two hours on the phone with tech support on Sunday, with the tech doing all the driving from afar. After all that tweaking, the issue was still present. After waiting six weeks for the thing (and after two postponements) and then it not working right, I've had enough with Dell. It took me at least a half hour to even find the correct tech support number. It was showing BLANK on one of their contact pages! Then I got a voice mailbox that was full. Then I called back and it finally worked. Also, the Dell Financial Services website couldn't even displaly my account info. The funniest part was when I went to click "Request Return" and the system FROZE! Do I want a replacement?  NO.

P.S. => Windows 7 was great.

No Events found!