Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 11th, 2009 15:00

Studio XPS 1640 TV Tuner

I've just received my 1640 and upgraded to Ultimate from Home Premium.

On reinstall of the drivers, i have an unknown device of 'WINTV-NOVA'.

This is obviously the tuner and i verified my testing media center.

I cannot find a driver for this device on the provided cd nor the dell website.

They list a AverMedia device but the drivers dont work so i dont think its this.

A google search brings up a Hauppauge device but none of the 10+ drivers worked.

Anyone any ideas what model\brand it is and why dell arent listing the right drivers!!

4 Posts

March 25th, 2009 18:00

Hi Guys

Ive just bought a Studio XPS 16, it has an Integrated DVB-T TV Tuner and Antenna.

Windows Media center picks up all available channels but only has sound, there is no video displayed for each channel.

Im livin in Ireland.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Thanks

1 Message

May 19th, 2009 19:00

Hey Saif oz, I am going thru the same thing and i just got my desktop i would say oct 2008 and i have the old version of media center tv pack i was wondering if you had any updates from dell themselves on this issue ive been back and forth with them no response yet if you can let me know i would really appreciate

1 Message

May 21st, 2009 06:00

Hi Langer,

Try and reinstall drivers r201996.exe, R192955.exe

Regards

3 Posts

July 20th, 2009 10:00

Hi,

Hopefully somebody here knows the answer to this. I have had a studio xps 1640 since Feb and have not yet been able to pick up any stations when scanning using the integrated DVB-T tv tuner and antenna

I am living in Ireland and the signal is analog so will it pick it up? Going from langer's post he is in Ireland and is atleast able to pick up signals so im guessing it picks up both analog and digital but I am getting nothing.

Have had the card replaced and the motherboard too but still nothing.

Should I atleast get radio stations??

Any thoughts would be appreciated, im about to blow up in frustration with it as the dell techs dont even have the answer.

1 Message

July 22nd, 2009 09:00

Hi,

I too am having the same issue as MickLyons... Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!  :emotion-1:

July 22nd, 2009 18:00

click the "dell support center" icon on system tray , then click "drivers and downloads".It will bring you to the dell support page with all the drivers for your model(based on your service tag) then choose " video " .there you will find your driver which ,if it is the integrated tuner you have ,would be- "dell driver - applies for integrated digital dvb-t tv  tuner.if thisworks for you ,Please let me know

September 12th, 2009 00:00

Hi All, I have StudioXPS 1640 with me.

How to check whether my laptop have TV tuner?

Hope someone guide and show me whether my laptop is equipped with TV Tuner.

Thanks.

7 Posts

September 12th, 2009 01:00

Hi, On the left-hand side of the 1640 between the VGA and Ethernet connectors, you should see a small, circular rubber cover. If you remove the cover, there will be a minature coax connector there for the TV tuner.

If the TV tuner has drivers loaded for it, you'll see an entry labelled 'WinTV-NOVA-TV model 18109' listed under the 'Sound, video and game controller' section of Windows Device Manager.

Best regards

September 19th, 2009 00:00

Hi There,

Yep, i saw the connector for TV tuner. I had connected my antenna which provided by Dell and did the setup using Windows Media Center.

Unfortunately, after scanning, i couldn't find any channels in my country(Brunei Darussalam). I think in my country there are no digital channels.

Can the TV tuner show analog channels?

Thanks

7 Posts

September 20th, 2009 04:00

HI, I'm not 100% certain but I'm reasonably sure the TV tuner in the 1640 will only receive digital TV channels. The Dell web site states the device is a DVB-T TV tuner. DVB-T stands for Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial.

Regards.

3 Posts

September 20th, 2009 07:00

Yes it will only recieve digital signals but it also picks up digital radio signals too

190 Posts

September 20th, 2009 09:00

This appears to be the norm anymore for Dell. When I got my computer it didn't have some of the cds. Makes me wonder about the quality service they offer with their products.

1 Message

November 9th, 2009 14:00

hi All,

I Have read your comments with interest.

i had the free win7 upgrade from vista. tv worked perfectly in vista following upgrade "no hardware"

Following  an hour call with tech help where they said it was a miracely that i had been able to watch anythign previously at that was not how it worked. they were at a loss as to explain how they could sell a tv tuner and not expect it to work...

anyway, tried to install device driver from device manager no joy, could not find anythign in the downloads section but if i changed configuration settings to say vista 64 bit, i was presented 4 video drivers (vs the 1 for the win7 64 bit config) the last one dell driver for dv tuner appeared closest, am afraid i have now mislaid the driver number. i installed it and my tv is now working!!! i only have 11 channels when previosuly i had 80+ but i am using the little bunny ear that came with the laptop and i am iin the lounge which is a reception blackspot for alll electrinic devices..

hope this helps...

Kegan

9 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 13:00

hi i have 1640 which i bought last April...i'm just wondering if i have an integrated tv tuner.....i've read from one post that there's a  hole where you can plug in the antenna (not sure) on the left side of  the laptop but i couldn't see anything....do all 1640 have tv tuner?

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 14:00

Hey man, as far as i know they come standard, it should be the second last socket, it will be between the VGA socket and network cable socket, most are covered by a black rubber plug that u just pop out with ur nails.

If its not check the invoice you recieved by email when you ordered it which outlines everything that should come with it, all specs and hardware, if its on it and u cant find it, give dell a buzz.....

No Events found!