Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2010 20:00

Studio XPS Audio will only work over external device(headphone/speakers) but not over onboard speakers.

So as the subject states my sound will not work over the on board speakers, but it will work on external devices. Headphones or speakers plugged into the jack work fine. Otherwise I get no sound. For a while if I  toggled the default sound device from the speakers to something else then back they would work for about 20 seconds then the sound would cut out. That stopped a few days ago however, and I can't even get the 20 seconds of working speakers. This all happened about a week ago so I tried doing a restore to a point of about a month ago, and the problem still persists. I did a system diagnostic and everything turned up fine, so I don't suspect a hardware problem. The laptop is running Windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 30th, 2010 05:00

An explanation for this combination of symptoms:

* Speakers don't work and are not muted or deselected
    * Headphone jack does work
    * Reinstalling audio driver does not help
    * Audio test in Dell Diagnostics passes
    * On models with 2 headphone jacks, one may be "checked" in the control panel as if in use

The Dell laptops with 92HD audio utilize IDT's Universal Jacks technology, which is somewhat complicated. In addition to the usual mechanical parts, the jack also uses current & impedance-sensing techniques to trigger software configuration and switching (to send the audio signal to the speakers). So there are three areas of potential failure: mechanical, electronic, and software. Sometimes, a little very gentle wiggle of a plug in the jack will get it to resume normal functioning, at least temporarily. There is a sensing pin in the jack (Sense_A pin) that is used to detect the presence of plugs and it can be the cause of failure to trigger the software switching. Failure of the sense pin usually results in the computer behaving like there is always a plug in the jack.

Normally the audio test in Dell Diagnostics would confirm that there is a hardware problem, but the Universal Jacks can cause a false result in Diagnostics. That is because Diagnostics operates in DOS, outside of Windows, so a Windows software misconfiguration is irrelevant to the test even though in this case it is caused by hardware. So the audio test can pass in Diagnostics, correctly signaling that software configuration is the immediate cause of the problem, but missing that a hardware problem, the bad sensing pin, is the root cause. In these instances the only reliable diagnostic procedures are to try a new motherboard or to use PC Restore (called Factory Image Restore in Vista) to restore the computer to its original configuration as shipped from the factory. If the speakers still don't work after PC/Factory Image Restore then there is definitely a hardware problem even if it passes the normally infallible Dell Diagnostic audio test.

June 30th, 2010 11:00

So your suggested fix is to wiggle the headphone plug in the jacks, or restore factory settings? For the record, there is this IDT PC audio thing that pops up sometimes when I plug in a microphone, and it's jack symbols show that the first is a microphone, and the other 2 are "HP" which I can only guess is headphones. Is this maybe the cause of it's confusion of there being a headphone plugged in and would disabling this service make the laptop use some sort of default setting of it's speakers?

Thank you for the speedy reply!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 30th, 2010 17:00

So your suggested fix is to wiggle the headphone plug in the jacks, or restore factory settings?

Not at all. Sorry for not being clearer. Both of these are diagnostics, not solutions. If wiggling the plug temporarily restores audio that would reinforce the diagnosis of the bad sense pin, but obviously it is not a reliable diagnostic tool. However restoring to factory settings is the gold standard for diagnosing this. If it does not fix the problem and you have all of the other symptoms I mentioned then you definitely have the bad sense pin. To be clear, if you have the bad sense pin then restoring to factory settings will not fix it, but will definitely confirm the problem which Dell will fix under warranty. Of course I don't know for sure that you have the bad sense pin.To know for sure requires diagnosis ... first by checking that no other solution works (like reinstalling the audio driver) and finally by either the replacement of the jacks or restoring to factory settings.

For the record, there is this IDT PC audio thing that pops up sometimes when I plug in a microphone, and it's jack symbols show that the first is a microphone, and the other 2 are "HP" which I can only guess is headphones. Is this maybe the cause of it's confusion of there being a headphone plugged in and would disabling this service make the laptop use some sort of default setting of it's speakers?

If you do have the bad sense pin then the popup is not the cause of the problem. I don't know if you can get any benefit from disabling it or not, so if it makes a difference when you try it please let me know. There have been a few people who have got around the bad pin via software means. Mainly by installing an incorrect audio driver that did not work at all with configurable jacks (Universal Jacks). The result was that they got the audio to come through the speakers again but none of the jacks worked anymore.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 14th, 2010 17:00

The solution is to replace the headphone jack not the speakers. On some models that means to replace the entire motherboard but some others have a jack daughterboard that can be replaced.

There have been a few people who have got around the bad pin via software means. Mainly by installing an incorrect audio driver that did not work at all with configurable jacks (Universal Jacks). The result was that they got the audio to come through the speakers again but none of the jacks worked anymore. I don't know of a specific "incorrect" driver that will install on a model with IDT audio, or even if such an incorrect driver exists for IDT. There is one for Sigmatel.

9 Posts

July 14th, 2010 17:00

I just had a tech come out and install new speakers which didn't fix my sound problem. Although I did just check the IDT audio manager and it says a headset is plugged in. Is there a way to override that one headphone jack?

2 Posts

September 27th, 2010 11:00

Surely the existing driver can be patched to simply ignore the sensing pin output?!?!?!

I have this exact same problem with my 1647 and had the exact same trouble on my previous 1640. I stood up with earphones still attached to the jack and the speakers never worked since, except on some odd occasions when some software is installing  and the "Microsoft" song will play (all the way through).

I must say I am quite discouraged by this circumstance (serious design flaw) and I have trouble accepting such poor design work on my most favorite piece of equipment to date.

How does one request to add a simple feature (a bypass switch or toggle)  to be added to the next patch for this audio driver file?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 28th, 2010 06:00

Surely the existing driver can be patched to simply ignore the sensing pin output?!?!?!

I agree that there should be a software solution -- at least to be able to disable the jacks and just use the internal speakers.As I said on E1705 this has been done simply by installing a certain "wrong" driver. The drivers should be written to give the user full control over the switching options.

(serious design flaw)

Well, the old jacks were the of the usual spring design and strictly mechanical and they seemed to fail a lot too, judging by the number of posts about them that we used to receive. Maybe this new design was supposed to be an improvement. I don't know. I notice that Dell has been designing most of its new models with replaceable jacks which is a big improvement over soldering them to the motherboard. See my article about this problem in the Laptop Audio Faq's for a list of models.

How does one request to add a simple feature (a bypass switch or toggle)  to be added to the next patch for this audio driver file?

I have a link to the Dell Contacts in the Laptop Audio Faq's. Additionally there is the Idea Storm for suggestions on Dell's technology. But imo Dell is not receptive to requests like yours so I wouldn't have much hope for a positive response or any response.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for the info, Jim. I had worked around the issue by purchasing an ExpressCard from Creative Labs that broadcasts wirelessly to my stereo, which suits me just fine when I am at home. Of course, now it is on the fritz  and I have to figure out if it is the card that died or the ExpressCard slot that died (no internal diagnostics available).

I won't hold my breath waiting for Dell to come to the rescue. I really do like this machine so I guess that's worth putting up with a heartache or two. No way am I parting company with it for warranty work unless it dies.   :-}

Mark

No Events found!