Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2017 15:00

Studio XPS M1640 Bluetooth non-connectivity issues

I have an older system that originally have Windows Vista 64bit, it never had any issues related to Vista OS but I upraded to Windows 7 to avoid any loss of support. However, with Microsoft more or less forcing Windows 10 on people, I caved and got the free version. As I have recently wanted to use my Bluetooth, I have a DELL WIRELESS BLUETOOTH 370 (FOXCONN) I noticed that there's no longer any kind of icon, access, or an inkling that it even exists on my system. It worked prior to Windows 10 when I still had Win7, but I'm looking for drivers that will for sure work and as far as I can tell there's no way of enabling the feature within windows.....according to the BIOS it's enabled but it doesn't work.  I'm going  to keep looking for a way to get around the OS but I'm posting here too because I'm thinking others have had the same problems.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Chris

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2017 20:00

However, you can check out a possible solution in the link below:

Dell 370 Bluetooth drivers for Windows 10

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2017 20:00

:emotion-2:

Unfortunately Dell doesn't list any windows 10 drivers for your system. Please click on the link below.

Support for Studio XPS M1640 | Dell US

4 Posts

April 1st, 2017 11:00

After submitting my question earlier last night, I did make some progress.  I have a dual-boot system for various reasons but mostly because I had apps or hardware that aren't compatible with the Win10. So I wiped my HDD and put Win7 on one partition and Win10 on the other half.  When I came to realize that my Bluetooth wasn't working, I tried to install it on the Win10 and it never took.....never showed that any Bluetooth was installed or working, no LED indicators, nothing......so I downloaded and intstalled it under Win7 and PRESTO!  I mysteriously worked.....for a few that is, I got my Bose Soundlink Mini to connect and actually play music.....but that only worked that once. After that, every time I try and connect it, it just acts like it's trying to find the device and once it doesn't it just keeps "discovering".  I know the hardware is fine, but these symptoms are driving me nuts!

Then to top it all off, after I play around with it for a few, the Bluetooth option under the ACTION CENTER and under that CONTROL PANEL seems to just vanish!  When you get into the device manager, yeah Bluetooth is listed there, as a generic Bluetooth device.  But it won't pair or connect anything.....and the icon on the system tray disappeared with all of that too.  Only when I download and install it again does it look like it's working before it doesn't again, then it seems like it just deletes itself or hides it from any attempts at connection.  I'm likely not making any sense but if you were in front of my laptop you'd have the same stupid look on your face too..  Any ideas, anyone? :)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2017 09:00

I'd suggest you run diagnostic tool to check the hardware on system. A failing hard drive or insufficient memory could be causing the Bluetooth problem. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously. In the menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it. After quick tests, click Hard drive, and then Thorough Test Mode. Please report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2017 10:00

Or....

Run a drivers scanner such as Slim Drivers or one of my favorites, Driver Booster - Official Site. There're many scanners you could choose online. Please remember to create a system restore point before installing any Bluetooth driver. Lastly, post the same question on the Microsoft Community forum and see if they could be a help to you.  

How to Create System Restore Point in Windows 10

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2017 10:00

If there isn't any error code, I suggest you uninstall the generic Bluetooth device in device manager. To reinstalled; Power off system and then power on system again. Hopefully Bluetooth is fix now. If that doesn't work, I suggest you continue to look online for a Bluetooth driver. You could start off by typing Bluetooth in the search box in the link below:

downloadcenter.intel.com/

No Events found!