Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2010 11:00

Studio & XPS Users experiencing video lockups and freezes / Throttling issues

If you have questions regarding 130 watt power adapters, please refer to the thread below:
Attention Studio XPS 1645/47 and Studio 1747 owners

For all others, I am not an engineer so if you have something you would like to see added to this initial post, please PM me and I will add it.

Since rumors are that there are different motherboard revisions, please download the 64bit version of CPU-Z here.

In the Mainboard tab, please tell us your Model # and BIOS revision as well as the model of laptop you are using.  Please make sure you are running the latest drivers.

So again, please provide:
Model of laptop
BIOS Revision number
Board Model
Power supply (130w/90w)
If you are running non-Dell-approved drivers, please tell us what version(s) you are using of those as well.

After you have put this in the header of your response, please state what issues you are still having with:
Throttling
System lock-ups
Performance between battery and AC adaptor plugged in
Playing HD streams
USB power
Sleep or hibernate issues
Fan constantly running at high speeds
The engineers and developers are (from what I can tell) doing a pretty decent job of trying to find a cure for all of the issues so let's try and make this as concise as possible for them to make things go faster :)

5 Posts

March 24th, 2010 13:00

hey Trent.

Im having the same Blue screen problems as you do.

they mostly happen when the laptop is coming out of sleep. it doesnt happen that many times, may be 3 times a month.

Since there were other more serious problems with the graphic card and sound card I really werent worried about that, but now I think I need to look further in to that.  BTW I got rid of my freezing problems by removing soundblaster Xfi from my start up programs, no need for a full unistall; I haven't had any crashes for about 3 weeks now.

off course the throttling still occurs with A07 bios, 130 adapter, newest drivers and driver fixes and the flash player beta. but i still have throttling even when I'm surfing the web on a high speed network. and while playing games not even high performance games, nexons combat arms, or flash games in miniclip.com  .

my system is:

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM

6GB DDR3 at 1333MHz

320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB

And I had another problem with the design f this laptop. I noticed a week ago that my laptops screen protector (the plastic thing on the screen) is getting scratched on my battery and around my touchscreen on three sides.  the battery also has leveling issue, when its on the laptop it bends to one side making the laptop stand on three legs.

56 Posts

March 24th, 2010 14:00

Hey sabedisc,

Ever since I reload the factory image, I have not had a problem. Knock on wood! I have Xfi, PowerDvd, and everything installed and running. I also performed all Windows Updates and installed Flash Beta 10. No crashes yet! Only time will tell...I'm not holding my breath though...

15 Posts

March 25th, 2010 06:00

hi  using XPS 1645 with latest drivers bios A08 

ATI hot patch, adobe flash 10.1 beta installed (no problem wih call of duty 4 after installing ATI patch)

still usin 90 W adapter

got my hard disk replaced one time due to freezing issues.

still facing problem with fans and lockups when swithching to 1080 P video or trying to run any high definition media stored on hard disk !

Have you removed Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi and related licensing software?  This along with the 130 watt PSU and A07 BIOS is all I have ever done and never had a freeze since.

March 25th, 2010 06:00

hi  using XPS 1645 with latest drivers bios A08 

ATI hot patch, adobe flash 10.1 beta installed (no problem wih call of duty 4 after installing ATI patch)

still usin 90 W adapter

got my hard disk replaced one time due to freezing issues.

still facing problem with fans and lockups when swithching to 1080 P video or trying to run any high definition media stored on hard disk !

69 Posts

March 25th, 2010 07:00

ATI catalyst drivers 10.3 WHQL are out, supporting radeon mobility ... http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

let's give it a try people ^^

1 Message

March 25th, 2010 09:00

I hope not, because if you did, I did too.  My specs are almost identical to yours.  I guess we'll both see very soon.

56 Posts

March 25th, 2010 09:00

ATI catalyst drivers 10.3 WHQL are out, supporting radeon mobility ... http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

let's give it a try people ^^

I am trying it out now! I have not had any freezes in Fallout 3! Yet...Knock on wood! Then again it works pretty well with power play & creative software upon boot disabled. Blue screen free for 24 hours!

5 Posts

March 25th, 2010 11:00

Hi all,

Model: 1747
Bios: A08
Power: 90W.

When will some engineer please fix the erratic (and annoying!) fan behaviour?

27 Posts

March 25th, 2010 13:00

I hate to sound lazy but I've been in and out of the hospital the last week or so and haven't done a good job on keeping up with this thread.  My question is, what new workarounds have people found for lockups (especially regarding flash games in full screen)?

I am running A08 and the Beta 3 of flash.  Also updated the chipset a couple weeks back.  Is there anything else that you folks have found to help?  Really stinks playing farmtown in the hospital here without a full screen.

5 Posts

I haven't had a single freeze since I removed the Sound Blaster software (knock on wood!)

Hopefully it's the fix I was looking for!

66 Posts

Remove the Sound Blaster X-Fi software if you have it.

Todd,

Since the X-Fi software was an upgrade that people pay extra for, what is the ultimate remedy that Dell will be providing? Will it be a working version or a refund?

Thanks,

Mitch

1.8K Posts

I am running A08 and the Beta 3 of flash.  Also updated the chipset a couple weeks back.  Is there anything else that you folks have found to help?  Really stinks playing farmtown in the hospital here without a full screen.

Remove the Sound Blaster X-Fi software if you have it.

1 Message

I have the Studio 1747 machine with i7 820 proc 6gig ram 2x500gb HDD and the IDT sound (edit) also 130w PSU.

I have traced a possible cause for my lock ups to a process called "audiodg.exe" aka Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation. This is a part of win 7. This process sometimes just blows up and starts hogging processing power, the behavior can be identified in task manager or Process explorer by the cpu useage just going through the roof ie heads towards 100% core useage. If you can catch it in time restarting the service seems to calm it down. I'm not sure if this is a windows problem or how the IDT sound driver talks to windows. Anyway I hope this helps with identifying some of these freezes. 

Mike.

66 Posts

March 25th, 2010 15:00

[quote user="makman"]

[quote user="DELL-Todd S"]Remove the Sound Blaster X-Fi software if you have it.

Todd,

Since the X-Fi software was an upgrade that people pay extra for, what is the ultimate remedy that Dell will be providing? Will it be a working version or a refund?

Thanks,

Mitch

[/quote]

Trust me you don't want to go down that path, Creative will swear up and down nothing is wrong with it's software, Their software has caused nothing but trouble since the release of Vista and now windows 7, their driver support really sucks and is almost non existent, I dumped them years ago simply due to the issues they cause....

[/quote]

Well the only problem is the software was not purchase from Creative, it was purchased from Dell. And a Dell representative is saying that it is causing problems and it should be removed. it is Dell that needs to then make it right.

Mitch

55 Posts

March 25th, 2010 15:00

[quote user="DELL-Todd S"]Remove the Sound Blaster X-Fi software if you have it.

Todd,

Thanks,

Mitch

[/quote]

Trust me you don't want to go down that path, Creative will swear up and down nothing is wrong with it's software, Their software has caused nothing but trouble since the release of Vista and now windows 7, their driver support really sucks and is almost non existent, I dumped them years ago simply due to the issues they cause....

No Events found!