Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2010 11:00

Studio & XPS Users experiencing video lockups and freezes / Throttling issues

If you have questions regarding 130 watt power adapters, please refer to the thread below:
Attention Studio XPS 1645/47 and Studio 1747 owners

For all others, I am not an engineer so if you have something you would like to see added to this initial post, please PM me and I will add it.

Since rumors are that there are different motherboard revisions, please download the 64bit version of CPU-Z here.

In the Mainboard tab, please tell us your Model # and BIOS revision as well as the model of laptop you are using.  Please make sure you are running the latest drivers.

So again, please provide:
Model of laptop
BIOS Revision number
Board Model
Power supply (130w/90w)
If you are running non-Dell-approved drivers, please tell us what version(s) you are using of those as well.

After you have put this in the header of your response, please state what issues you are still having with:
Throttling
System lock-ups
Performance between battery and AC adaptor plugged in
Playing HD streams
USB power
Sleep or hibernate issues
Fan constantly running at high speeds
The engineers and developers are (from what I can tell) doing a pretty decent job of trying to find a cure for all of the issues so let's try and make this as concise as possible for them to make things go faster :)

6 Posts

March 31st, 2010 13:00

I received my Studio 1747 as a replacement to a 1737 system. I've experienced ~10 or so system lockups, 4 of them just yesterday each less than an hour apart, they are not video related. The first crash was during logon screen w/ FastAccess about 3-4 hours after the system was unboxed and powered on, and it crashed again that day, and I uninstalled it and lockups continued during regular tasks like web, login screen, etc. Some of these crashes initially happened on the 90 watt adapter, and have continued with the 130 watt adapter. I've opened a case with dell regarding these issues on this new system (less than 7 days old).

System: Dell 1747 Core i7 720QM 4Gig 1333 RAM, 320Gig HD

Motherboard model number: OJ509P

Bios: A08

Using 130 Watt adapter & Soundblaster X-Fi MB software included with system

I just used the Intel INF chipset utility as a suggested step - only been an hour since then, but as I report further problems I'll list them here.

I really don't want to uninstall my X-Fi software to fix the issue if that is a cause of problems - I like using it.

Aside from these occasional, annoying lockups - the system seems sweet as cherry pie, and is a more than fair replacement.

The Dell Technician had me run my system in safe mode, and requested I attempt to run it for several hours in that mode to see if it would lockup, and if not it would indicate hardware was not a cause of problems. I did so, and that is when I did the chipset inf update, and I did Dell diagnostics on all hardware except extended memory and HD tests. He suggested if it crashed again when I went back into normal startup, to reinstall the OS & software from the CD's, not the restore option (as there may be a problem with OS image).

I'll continue to wait a few more days, and maybe bear a couple more lockups as more information is gathered on this issue before I do a lot of work trying to fix it myself.

March 31st, 2010 21:00

I was watching some 1080p video today and experienced a BSOD, this was the first one I experienced in about a week since turning off Link State Power Management.  I went ahead and disabled ATI CCC Powerplay, I rewatched the same video and did not experience any throttling/freezing/BSOD.  Will post if I experience a crash again.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2010 21:00

I did some more work on my system - and noticed my system too became unstable during 1080p Youtube videos - which Flash 10.1 beta did seem to fix. However, after two more lock ups back to back I felt I should post here again before these boards go read-only for a few days. The lock ups are simply described as the screen freezing, mouse/keyboard/anything unresponsive, etc. I gotta say, even though this is a replacement system for me, it's a very terrible out of box experience for me. With the issue being described by quite a few others as well it makes me wonder if this line of systems was tested as thoroughly as it should have been. Two other systems of mine before this, an e1705 and 1737 seemed to be "made better", were significantly more reliable out of box. They were also made in Malaysia. This 1747 is apparently made (assembled) in China - is that where the system images were developed and/or placed on to the systems? I really hope this is a software/OS image related issue, and that there isn't lots of bad hardware floating around out there.

3 Posts

April 6th, 2010 08:00

Hi all, just thought ill contribute.

Received my new Studio XPS 1645 on March 24 and I have experienced one crash per day so far.  Random crashes, a couple of times right after log in screen, another time coming out of sleep another time while browsing the web and another time while watching youtube videos.  It's done it like once a day.

Processor: i7 720qm

Ram: 8gb

Bios: A08 came pre installed by Dell.

Latest Flash installed

Haven't updated the video drivers yes as when I tried, after installation I couldn't open ccc anymore so I just rolled back.

90w power adapter

Just order the 130w power adapter to see if that helps, if not i'll try uninstalling the sound blaster driver, I'll keep you posted.

Updated Chipset controller with the one on the Dell downloads site

Updated Video Drivers to 10.3

Using 130w power adater

Freeze free for about a week, not a single lock up since.

6 Posts

April 6th, 2010 19:00

Early February XPS 1645 arrived.

Zero problems- until trying to run streaming video in full screen mode from sites like Hulu, Youtube etc.

Did a new install of Win 7 and same results. No problems until running streaming video in full screen mode.

- Studio XPS 1645

-ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670- driver 8.632.1.2000

-BIOS A08

-90 Watt/ 130 has been ordered

-Adobe flash 10.0.45.2

-Motherboard OY517R

Putting a clean install of Win7 made no difference when viewing streaming video in full screen mode. Simply cannot get through a full screen video without one of these results---The screen going grey with sound continuing to play followed by lock up. Screen breaking into pixels followed by lock up.

I see some suggestions I have yet to try, but for now I'll just put my experiences out and hope it helps.

Update.

130W power supply in use.

Installed all Dell drivers per Dell's priority installation method, including new ATI revision over the clean install of Win 7.

Happy to say that the lockups during full screen streaming video are absent, that with 120 minutes of consecutive use.

No other lockups or odd behaviour.

Hope that's all for me. If something report worthy comes up I'll be back with details.

4 Posts

April 6th, 2010 20:00

UPDATE

Got the 130W Power Supply today. Plugged it in and its making a buzzing sound. If you disconnect the power from the computer (but leave it plugged into the wall) the buzzing stops..... I've logged another call with Dell over this as it could be a faulty part.

1080p Lockup

If you ENABLE "Hardware Acceleration" in Flash, then 1080p youtube videos crash the laptop.
If you DISABLE "Hardware Acceleration"t, then everything seems fine - although I don't know exactly what I'm missing out on by doing this.

For those that don't know, "Enable Hardware Acceleration" is in the "Adobe Flash Player Settings" (right mouse button click when watching Youtube, then click "Settings" and its the first tab)

Specs

Bios: A08
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 driver date 2/03/2010 version 8.712.0.0

69 Posts

April 7th, 2010 03:00

tried the pci express link tweak : does not prevent lockups here. only thing so far is ati powerplay tweak.

69 Posts

April 11th, 2010 04:00

well, installed the new flash beta 10.1 ...... and experienced a full computer freeze when playing crysis 2 720p trailer :/ (but hardware acceleration was "on" in flash config ...) - ati powerplay DISABLED.

ATI ccc 10.3

so much for so little.

Dell ? still no news ?

13 Posts

April 11th, 2010 19:00

To Todd S from Dell and everyone else. I think you might be looking in the wrong place. I don't run any videos and my 1645 screen locks 3 to 5 times a day. It locks when the only program I have running is outlook. It locks when I am running battery only, 90 watt or 130 watt power supply. Nothing makes any difference. The only thing that seems consistant is that when it freezes and I do a hard shut down and then a re-start 50 percent of the time the screen will freeze again within 10 minutes.  This indicates to me that heat may be involved in some way. I have a 128G solid state drive and the 16 inch screen.

The other thing is that an aleart message seems to be the trigger. Like an alert that I recieved a new email. The strange thing is that there is no consistancy to the issue. I can go for hours with no freeze up and in that time recieve dozzens of new email alerts and then it will freeze up two times in 15 minutes.

Bruce

6 Posts

April 11th, 2010 20:00

I'm not sure which settings worked to correct my lockups, but I did disable link state power management, and updated IDT audio software (released on dell for 1747 recently), and still using creative xfi mb (didnt have to uninstall), maybe a few minor other tweaks I've found throughout here... anyways, I've used my system for over 10 days without a single lockup. So far, I seem to be very happy with it.

5 Posts

April 11th, 2010 20:00

well for your problem Bruce, the freeze ups are triggered (not caused) by creative's sound blaster XFi and if you uninstall or disable that program you will have less freeze ups (around 3 to 4 a month!) but the problem isn't caused by sound blaster XFi so it will not be completely removed by uninstalling it.

if you are in the first 30 days period, I would advise you to return this laptop and think of a replacement (from dell or elsewhere) because it has serious heat issues that cannot be resolved without a complete redesign.

11 Posts

April 13th, 2010 20:00

DELL XPS 1645

BIOS A08

Power Supply 90W

Here is the problem that I experienced:

Throttling

System lock-ups

DVD constantly spinning

Fan constantly running at high speed

The above problem has disappeared for more than a weeks after I applied fix below.

Replace Power Supply with 130W

Reinstall Windows 7

Upgrade ATI Driver 

Upgrade Flash

I am still facing one major problem here, the CPU is at high temperature when it is fully utilize.  Under normal use with low CPU utilization at < 15%, the CPU temperature is at around 50 degree.  If I crank up the CPU utilization to 100%, the CPU temperature go up to 85 degree or more..  Is this normal.

Here is a test case:

Down prime 95 load test software, run the software to test the CPU for 5 minutes.  The CPU temp go from 50 degree to 85 degree immediately.

The CPU fan start to spin like crazy.

Is this normal?

Does anyone has the similar overheat problem.

13 Posts

April 14th, 2010 16:00

I followed the advice of sabedisc and others to disable soundblaster but it didn't make any difference. My system still froze up 5 or more times a day, even when I was just running outlook. Yesterday I purchased a large lap top cooling unit with two fans. It has been 24 hours of non-stop running with no freeze ups. My system has never gone a day without a screen freeze so at this point it looks like sabedisc was right when he said the primary problem is overheating. I am sending my 1645 back for replacement with a 1647 - hopefully they will figure out how to fix the heat problem without throttling down the processor before my 1647 hits the production line.

Bruce

4 Posts

April 14th, 2010 17:00

Bruce,

Are you sending it back under a 30 day replacement or sending it back because its a dud? The reason I'm asking is that many people have had their laptops for a few months, with many onsite and telephone support calls.

Any idea on when the 1647 does into production?

Simon

13 Posts

April 15th, 2010 16:00

I had a record of calling in about the problem under the 30 day window and they said I could work with it for a while longer and still send it back. I don't know anything about the production on the 1647 units. I just assumed that they had stopped making the 1645 units will all the problems. One thing is sure. If the unit will only operate with a monster external fan system it isn't a workable lap top. I can't carry the external fan into my client's office for a presentation.

No Events found!