Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2011 16:00

Studio Xps 1640 Service Tag nightmare!

Hi Guys.

Last year i bought  my Studi XPS 1640 on ebay.com and i am using it without problem almost 1 year.  Today i reinstalled my computer and entered dell website for new drivers but site didnt recognise my service tag. Than i called costumer service ( 1-800-624-9897) they called there is a hold on this service tag and i must call this number 1 866 383 47 13 to resolve this issue. I called them too and  they didnt solve my problem either just said maybe this could be exchange computer and have to send back and suggest me to call costumer service. Nearly 2 days i am trying to solve this problem but i didnt get anything. What must i do guys please help me about this issue. I bought this computer on ebay  and using vista on it. i couldnt use free upgrage to windows 7 either because of service tag problem

3 Posts

I cant because the seller not a registered ebay user anymore. I dont have any information about him

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Contact the seller - that person must initiate a transfer of ownership to your name.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 21st, 2011 18:00

You're out of luck there - you won't get any warranty service on an orphan system.

3 Posts

June 21st, 2011 19:00

But i am just trying to remove that hold. warranty already expired on this item

June 21st, 2011 23:00

I have similar problem. Few days ago I had a problem with hard drive and call DELL to have it replaced (I have still valid NBD warranty). I found out that I cannot get help because there is a problem with my service tag number in their data base. I also purchaed notebook (new) on eBay.

What can be a reason for that? After I bought the notebook I contacted DELL to check if everything is all right, if it's new and everything was all right. It was last year and since that time I'm the only one that has been using this laptop.

June 22nd, 2011 05:00

Yes, I was going to do that but when I contacted DELL before they said that it didn't really matter. And this time, trying to exchange harddrive, they didn't know my name so couldn't know that I wasn't the original owner of the notebook. There must be anothre reason for this problem.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2011 05:00

You need to have the seller transfer ownership into your name.  There are all types of sellers on EBay - ranging from honest to very shady.  

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 18:00

Have anyone figured out how to get this problem solved? I purchased a laptop almost a month ago the same way through good ole ebay. I should have returned because it had expired software and Windows 8 beta also that was expired. Being a tech I decided to reinstall windows 7. Soon as I tried to get the drivers the problem started with the service tag. I have called twice and passed through the system many times and got no place. The 1st call I was told the hold would be removed in 48hrs which never came. A week later I called again and went through the same routine and was told I needed to get the original order number from the seller.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 18:00

Continuation of my previous post

I also tried typing a 2 in place of a Z in my service tag and it brings up the laptop that I have but registered in another country. So I wonder if it was entered wrong in there system? Also the information comes up and matches what is suppose to be the same warranty expiration year and Month.

No Events found!