Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2015 15:00

Support Question

Hi All,

I am writing this as I don't know what to do to resolve my issue with Dell.  

In November I ordered a 17.3" Precision M6800 mobile workstation. It was delivered December 7th (irony?)

In February the screen started going dark for a few seconds with a message that said the graphics card had recovered from a problem.

I called dell and they had me disable switchable graphics in BIOS. I then had no graphics at all, just a dark screen rendering the workstation useless.

They set up an on site service to install a new graphics card.

That technician physically broke the keyboard bezel, the internal battery connector, the cover latch, power button and stripped out several screws when trying to re-assemble the thing. When he left I had a workstation in pieces that would only power up by removing the battery and connecting the power brick ( At least I could back up my data ). He also left a rather large oil stain on my driveway which was resurfaced last fall.

A second tech came over to fix the problems caused by the first one but was unable to repair the cover latch and when he was done the machine would no longer boot up.

Dell sent a box to ship the unit to their repair depot where I was assured that those techs were more trained and had access to whatever they needed to repair the machine.

Two weeks later I received my machine back with a love note saying that "after extensive testing" no problem could be found and the machine was being returned with no work performed.

Still a broken cover latch and would not boot up. I was able to get it to boot up by resetting windows but of course this meant setting the machine up from scratch all over again which takes considerable time given the volume of programs and data files that needed to be loaded to it.

Dell "escalated" the issue and an offer was made to replace the system entirely and all I would have to do is move the hard drive from the old machine to the new one. I was skeptical about what I was being told as it can't be that simple to swap a hard drive. I gathered through this that the reason for the machine not booting after the repair was because the mother board had been replaced and somehow windows doesn't like that.

I countered their offer by saying they could send a new machine but since the video card was the cause of the issue I would prefer it to be a different brand and model from the original.

This request was approved and I waited for the new machine.

When the new machine arrived it was evident that they just picked something off the shelf and shoved it out the door. It had a different hard drive, different memory, a DVD drive instead of a Blu-Ray, no fingerprint reader as originally ordered and no agreed upon video card replacement.

After a couple of emails I received another machine that was also incorrect. Different hard drive, no fingerprint reader or Blu-Ray drive and a camera and microphone I did not want or order.

Now I'm being told via email that the closest they can come to a replacement for my system is a 15" Latitude 6500 with no fingerprint reader and no Blu-Ray.

Really?

I can still order a Precision on their site with everything I originally ordered, so why am I being told they can't replace the one that they broke and cannot repair.

It is MAY and this started in FEBRUARY.

Does anyone have a method for contacting the customer service corporate executives?

I'm getting nowhere with Yvonne_506261

Thanks to all who listened.

No Responses!
No Events found!