Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2013 21:00

Switchable graphics: is it possible to use ONLY Radeon GPU?

Hello everyone,

I have two laptops: one is a Latitude E6420 and the other an Inspiron 14 Intel N4050.

Both have switchable graphics; Nvidia Optimus on the E6420 and Radeon on the N4050.

I'm running genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on both machines.

With the E6420, should I choose to, I can either assign the discrete GPU as the default one, or I can simply go into the BIOS and disable Optimus, thus making the machine run solely on dedicated graphics (which I normally do, since I'm almost never away from a power outlet.)

Unfortunately, I have no such control with the N4050. I'm wondering if there is a similar way to disable the Intel shared GPU on the N4050 in order to force it to run solely on Radeon graphics. There seems to be no way whatsoever to do that through the BIOS, and I feel that disabling the Intel GPU from the Device Manager isn't such a good idea. I know I can control which GPU runs when through the Switchable Graphics Method feature in Catalyst Control Center, but that still doesn't seem to disable the shared GPU completely (which seems to take over when running on battery power - there is no apparent way to tell for sure which GPU is being used.)

Thanks in advance; your help is greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 28th, 2013 17:00

The answer is no, it is not.  The AMD GPU has no connection to the display device - all video data passes through the GPU onboard the Intel processor.

You cannot disable the on-CPU GPU  -- if you do, you'll get no display at all.

November 12th, 2013 04:00

Hello everyone,

I have two laptops: one is a Latitude E6420 and the other an Inspiron 14 Intel N4050.

Both have switchable graphics; Nvidia Optimus on the E6420 and Radeon on the N4050.

I'm running genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on both machines.

With the E6420, should I choose to, I can either assign the discrete GPU as the default one, or I can simply go into the BIOS and disable Optimus, thus making the machine run solely on dedicated graphics (which I normally do, since I'm almost never away from a power outlet.)

Unfortunately, I have no such control with the N4050. I'm wondering if there is a similar way to disable the Intel shared GPU on the N4050 in order to force it to run solely on Radeon graphics. There seems to be no way whatsoever to do that through the BIOS, and I feel that disabling the Intel GPU from the Device Manager isn't such a good idea. I know I can control which GPU runs when through the Switchable Graphics Method feature in Catalyst Control Center, but that still doesn't seem to disable the shared GPU completely (which seems to take over when running on battery power - there is no apparent way to tell for sure which GPU is being used.)

Thanks in advance; your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi!

Actually, there is a way to enable solely the AMD GPU forever.
Intel GPU will still be there but unused. I recommend the Leshcat's 13.4 WHQL because it supports Windows 8 and 8.1 (I hate outdated Dell Drivers for my N4050) and it supports the thing where you can't automatically switch when using battery (but there's a tweak on Power Options if you're running on Catalyst 12.10)

Note: Black screen issues when switching IGPU to DGPU (Intel to AMD) on Windows 8 and 8.1 when using Leshcat Driver (but not on 7) and Enduro issues when using the Dell's Catalyst 12.10 driver on Windows 8.1.

I did took note of this if you're planning to upgrade to Windows 8.

If you're using the Dell's driver:
1. You first go to the Switchable Graphics Method and switch to the 2nd method (IGPU when battery....)
2. Go to Power options, select a plan (or make one) and go to its Advanced Settings.
3. From there, find the Switchable Dynamic Graphics, and change the On Battery and Plugged in to High Performance GPU.

That's it!

Tested this when I had a problem with Cinema 4D's incompatibility with Intel HD Graphics.

January 13th, 2015 08:00

Found one, before my AMD card went down.

What you can do is go to graphics properties, (right click on desktop, or search CCC), go to switchable graphics method, then clicking the 2nd method.

If you want a forever AMD option, uncheck the box there.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 28th, 2013 03:00

Hi sjanzeir,

Switchable Graphics is designed in a way that the Intel video card stays on by default and the AMD video card only turns on when graphic intensive applications are run. Displays are always exposed to the Operating System through the integrated graphics. Aero desktop always runs on integrated graphics. Hence the switching is automatic and it cannot be done manually. However, you can configure an application to run on High-performance GPU in Catalyst Control Center and the laptop uses the discrete card for it.

Please let me know if you need further information.

20 Posts

March 28th, 2013 15:00

Thanks, but that's not what I asked. I already know all of this. My question was whether there is a way to disable the integrated graphics GPU entirely (like I can with the other machine that has Nvidia Optimus) and run the machine ONLY on the dedicated Radeon graphics GPU.

20 Posts

April 16th, 2013 15:00

Actually, the display will still work if I disable the Intel GPU, but only at a maximum resolution of 1024x768 - which doesn't really help. Thanks anyway.

2 Posts

January 12th, 2015 06:00

I have same problem like scalagos0123 also with Cinema 4D and ATI or Intel Graphic at Alienware 17 I7-4710MQ with AMD RADEON R9 M290X.

I suspect on drivers and can not find a solution. Does anyone have a similar solution like this for Alienware?

No Events found!