August 4th, 2013 17:00

Switchable graphics not working as expected

First things first:  Here are my stats:

N5110 laptop

Intel core i5 2450M cpu

6GB RAM

Windows 7 64 Bit

Switchable graphics: Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon 7450M

Now, here's my issue.  I have several games that should work fine using the 7450M.  However, when I try using them with the 7450M enabled, the games run slow to unplayable.  When I use the Intel Integrated graphics processor, the games work fine.

Examples (alphabetical):

Alien Spidy

Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition

Hydrophobia

Joe Danger

Joe Danger 2

Ms. 'Splosion Man

Orcs Must Die

Rock of Ages

Spore

Toki Tori

Toki Tori 2

Meanwhile, anything using the Source engine (Vampire: The Masquerade, Portal, Left 4 Dead) works just fine with the laptop set to use the 7450M.

This suggests that the 7450M isn't working right.

Most of the troubleshooting forums for this sort of issue involving switchable graphics involves changing the BIOS settings to disable the intel HD integrated graphics processor.  Dell doesn't let me do that with the usual "hit F2 or maybe F8 or F10 at exactly the right moment" boot minigame, and I'm not about to go poking around in the raw files.

How do I fix this problem?  I paid extra for the 7450M so I could play games on the laptop, and the 7450 is proving less capable than the default Intel graphics processor.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 4th, 2013 17:00

Check with the publisher of the games that don't work -- the fact that others do means the hardware is OK.

There are plenty of games that don't work with switching video or may need to be updated or upgraded.  

You can't disable the Intel GPU - as designed, the AMD GPU is a co-processor -- only the Intel GPU has a physical connection to the screen, so all video data passes through it on its way to being displayed, even if it is processed by the AMD GPU.

No Events found!