Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2017 09:00

System lags with WD15 dock and XPS 15, 2016

Hello everyone,

there is a problem with my XPS 15 and dockingstation WD 15 for quite some time now.

During usage, sometimes and with unregular length, the system audio stops working and I have to disable the audio device and re-enable it in the sound settings. What is really annoying.

Additionally, there are really bad lags of video, audio and inputs with the dock. Imagine the audio video and inputs stuttering for about 2 - 3 seconds. These problems are appearing unregularly and seem to not be connected to the kind of usage. 

This influences heavily conferencing and gaming badly. Whenever it is important I disconnect the dock from my laptop. 

Has anybody heared of this bug or problem before. After a lot of research, I still do not have any solution or workaround yet.

Best Regards

September 5th, 2017 03:00

I have the same issue and didn't find anything to help either.

Very disappointing for what is supposed to be a high end laptop.

Maybe the (pricy) thunderbolt dock TB16 works better. The WD15 use USB 3.1, so if the issue is tied to the USB controller, there's a chance the thunderbolt dock works fine but I'm not spending any more money on this, especially on Dell hardware.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

September 5th, 2017 05:00

Some reported solving dock issues by replacing the wifi+BT card with Intel 8260/8265. Supposedly there might be some sort of unexplained interference, either radio-frequency or firmware kind. Before buying the replacement card (around $30), test if this might be the case by disabling wifi+BT (disable in Device Manager or activate Flight mode) - you can use wired LAN to see if everything works okay while testing. You may even be able to convince Dell to do this as a free replacement, if you can demonstrate that the card is the problem.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 5th, 2017 13:00

Additionally, make sure you have the latest WD15 firmware and all drivers of course, all of which can be found on support.dell.com if you go to Choose Product > Accessories > Docks > WD15.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 5th, 2017 13:00

What wattage power supply do you have connected to the WD15?  When you're using that dock with an XPS 15, you need a 180W power supply for the WD15, or a 240W power supply if you want to use the TB16.  Otherwise, the system will throttle because the dock won't be supplying enough power to the system.

18 Posts

September 8th, 2017 18:00

I have the same issue, all firmwares and all drivers are updated. It's extremely annoying.

18 Posts

September 9th, 2017 08:00

No Events found!