Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

1 Message

February 17th, 2008 06:00

Tablet Touchscreen Died : Latitude XT : NtrigApplet Can't connect to driver

Tablet Touchscreen Died : Latitude XT : NtrigApplet Can't connect to driver: Failure to open Devic

Got the Tablet on Friday, it was working well; today installed MS Office 2007, set up a VPN connection, did some windows updates, after rebooting a couple times, the touch screen stopped working.  During windows start up the following error displayed:

NtrigApplet - Can't connect to driver: Failure to open Device.

Not good.

Contacted Dell Support

We'll see what happens...

2 Posts

August 29th, 2008 21:00

I have XT running Windows XP Pro & SP3 (my employer won't allow Vista).  I have same NTrigApplet problem.  Have been totally unsuccessful installing NTrig application and drivers to correct problem.  I've downloaded various N-Trig driver installer versions from Dell Support and have tried all of them, including process detailed by DevilsReject97, but without success. 

In Device Manger, there are 3 drivers listed under "Digitizers".  First 2 are labeled  "N-Trig HID interface and seem to be correctly installed.  Third driver simply says "USB Device" and its icon is overlaid by an exclamation point in a yellow circle.  I'm assuming this is the problem driver.  No matter what I try, I can't get this driver to update correctly.

When I boot the XT, Windows XP generates multiple notices in the lower right corner about "New Hardware Found" "N-Trig Digitizer" and tries to load drivers, but always fails.  Attempts to direct the driver installer to a folder containing the drivers in the N-Trig installer package don't help.   

Exceedingly time consuming and frustrating.  The tablet screen simply doesn't work.  There's some touch functionality, but inductive(?) pen functionality almost totally missing (with pen, cursor appears on screen and can be moved, but can't tap to click/select.

Hard to believe Dell hasn't weighed in on this issue.  From the number of post, it looks like it's been out there for a chunk of time.

Thanks in advance for any help!

NOTE:  This is my first time using the Forums.  If I'm not doing this correctly, feel free to correct me.

September 3rd, 2008 19:00

This was sent to me by a Dell Rep, and they were very adamant that you had to install the drivers in this manner for the issue to resolve itself. Apparently the N-Trig software has issues with certain burning software and Itunes...

Here are the drivers listed in the order they need to be installed after the base load: 

Dell™ Notebook System Software
ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Graphics Driver
N-trig Digitizer Driver
Fingerprint Reader Driver
Broadcom® 570X 100/100/1000 Integrated Controller
Wireless Mini-Card driver (if applicable)
IDT® STAC 9205 Audio Driver
Dell Touch Pad Driver
Bluetooth® driver (if applicable)
Dell QuickSet utility
TUSB3410 USB to Serial Controller

11 Posts

September 4th, 2008 01:00

I ended up returning my XT to Dell with the problem unresolved. I don't have iTunes installed, and the reps keep saying "we should bench-test these units" but of course a multibillion dollar company like Dell is obviously lacking in resources to do such a thing.

The problem and methodology for a fix is firmly in their court. After 6mo they can't deny the issue exists.

3 Posts

October 1st, 2008 15:00

I followed all the instructions posted by DevilsReject97.

This did not fix the issue.  Also if you follow his instructions you will need to make sure

you remove the application first because the software is so buggy that the uninstall

program will crash if it does not detect the n-trig hardware first.  I really think

this might be an issue with the driver or firmware/hardware at this point.

In addition,  I also agree with a previous poster that the finger print reader has

never worked correctly on my system.  I contacted wave support and they admitted

to me on the phone that the current version dell has on their website is not stable and

they have a version 2.2.3.0.  The problem with this version of the driver is that it

has not specifically been tested on the latitude XT for issues.  So it sounds like Dell

needs to get their act together and fix both of these issues or a c&lass a$ction l$aw s@uit(forgive me dell won't let me post those 4 words)  may be in their future.  Maybe it's not such a good idea for them to e-mail us with the entire dell support chat conversation every time I contact them via their chat program.

Ha ha!

Oh yeah dell's support denied that either of these issues have been reported by other

customers.  This attitude I find really offensive.  It's almost as though there is no communication

with their vendors or there is some sort of big cover up going on so they can avoid a mass

recall.

4 Posts

November 14th, 2009 14:00

Hay manquaman and other latitude xt users. i updated to the multi touch stuff like latitude xt2 has. anyway, i keep getting the error NtrigApplet - Can't connect to driver: Failure to open Device too.

And also, i already had microsoft 07 and i was doing a diagnostics test. Microsoft 07 comes with daignostics to check problems with the program. Any way, i needed an update for it and when i updated and restarted and everything, pen and touch screen stopped working. And my tablet settings wouldn't open up.

i decided to chat with dell. The first guy siad how may i help you. i told him what the error said and he ended the session. Then i talked to somebody else and he said we have to connect you to del gold support. i waited an half a hour and no response. then i chatted with someone else and he said, we have to connect you to gold support. I said the last guy made me wait 30 min. he said he will do it quick. he lied. then i finally chatted to a lady. she connected to my computer through with dellconnect and manually reinstall ntrig drivers but it didn't work. then she quickly jumped to saying, "we have to replace your screen". Im like, what! She said if that doesn't work you need to back up your system and reinstall the operating system. yah, im ganna lose and my programs and virus protection because of this. she said it would arrive in 2-3 days and we will call you to set up a appointment with you when it comes.

I watch this channel QVC, some of you probably heard of it, (Channel 15) and they had a back up thing called Replica, it backs up files AND programs. I had it somewhere and i found it im gonna use it now. the screen should be here by today or tommorow.

plus, these kids don't know what there doing. (I know that was a kid because she told me to give my number so she can contact me while im rebooting)

So, if this happens to you, go to this link

this is for QVC, you need to make an account. QVC is channel 15 on optimum cable. i dont know the channel for other companys.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.E07309

it says no longer available but it might be coming on during Christmas. Thats when i got it. OR you can get it at amazon.com or ebay.com

QVC also has other great products not just for computers, but everything, TV's, cooking, Sports, Jewerly, etc.

Hope this helped if you had to back up your system so they can replace your screen.

If you have and easier solution instead of replacing the screen, post it quick.

:emotion-2::emotion-49:

4 Posts

November 14th, 2009 15:00

Hay! Great news for you itunes users. You don't have to delete your itunes anymore. Just go to this link provided by ntrig.com

http://www.n-trig.com/Content.aspx?Page=Bulletin_Board

Scroll down to Itunes error message

do what it says

hope this helped

4 Posts

November 14th, 2009 15:00

Hay! I don't have digitizers in my device manager. I must have deleted some how. So what order to do i install them

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 17:00

Hi. Its Thecoolest. I am so happy. My computer suddenly stopped saying the error and the touch screen is working. I downloaded a software called FRAPS. You make movies with it. But i didn't like it. So i created a restore point for Sunday November 22, 2009 9:00 AM. I started to restore and it said your disks needs to be checked for consistency. So it checked them and then it restored. Then i noticed at the bottom left hand corner of the screen, where the programs are, the n-trig picture was there. i wuickly took out my pen and tried it . It worked.

Restore didn't do it because i tried that when i had the problem and it didn't work (or did it):emotion-2:

Maybe you should do a system diagnostics and check the problem and then reboot your computer. When you do diagnostics, do every test for every piece of software and look for the problem with n-tirg. It should show a problem.

Hoped diagnostics should you the problem.

(P.S. if you see the problem with your n-tig or any problems, write down everything the computer tells you to. The error code and everything. It well tell you to call dell support. I usually chat with dell.

No Events found!