Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

1 Message

February 17th, 2008 06:00

Tablet Touchscreen Died : Latitude XT : NtrigApplet Can't connect to driver

Tablet Touchscreen Died : Latitude XT : NtrigApplet Can't connect to driver: Failure to open Devic

Got the Tablet on Friday, it was working well; today installed MS Office 2007, set up a VPN connection, did some windows updates, after rebooting a couple times, the touch screen stopped working.  During windows start up the following error displayed:

NtrigApplet - Can't connect to driver: Failure to open Device.

Not good.

Contacted Dell Support

We'll see what happens...

2 Posts

February 19th, 2008 16:00

Greetings:

I recently received a new XT. It is working fine, however, I get that same NtrigApplet message everytime I log into the system.

Any info you get from support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

31 Posts

March 24th, 2008 21:00

Same deal here...

My digitizer works - even the touch, but I get this annoying error box that pops up every time I log on.

:

NtrigApplet

Can't connect to driver: Failure to open Device

Since as far as I can tell everything works, I don't know what it's talking about. I looked for updates but nothing there.

2 Posts

April 11th, 2008 18:00

Same error and exact description for me as well.  I am using tablet xp sp2 (not vista) on a media base.  I have found that the error disappears when booting off the media base.  I have also booted up on the media base and went into the bios and disabled the external usb ports and rebooted. 

No error. 

In my opinion, I think it is the media base with its usb ports (also, media base has a 8 x dvd rw) that is causing the applet error.

Are using a media base?

Contacted Dell as well and waiting for a solution.

Message Edited by rccc on 04-11-2008 03:28 PM

31 Posts

April 11th, 2008 18:00

I've been working on so many emergencies I forgot I'd even posted this. This latitude XT is so fraught full of flaky and defective stuff it's wasted weeks of my time, when I've got nearly a hundred people trying to get my attention for help with everyday stuff!

I haven't seen this error in a while.

This XT will not run our logon script. The problem is related to the Symantec component vp_log32.exe which is supposed to check to see if you have nay version of Symantec. If you do, it skips the installation. If you don't, it launches the install. Well the Symantec component hangs and will not exit unless you Ctrl+Alt+Del and End Process on it.

In troubleshooting Symantec, I went into the BIOS and turned off execute-disable.

This, I believe, is what made the the NtrigApplet error go away.

So anyone who has this error, please try this to see if it fixes you and post back.

I've just delivered the XT, even with the Symantec problems.

Also, the fingerprint reader is complete garbage. Won't work with a domain logon. Somehow having domain credentials destroys the flow of the logon. Broadcom has failed miserably, as far as I'm concerned. I've talked to many other companies and the tech support at every company has found the same problems, and come to the same conclusions.

Meanwhile, Dell, Symantec, Broadcom, etc. all claim to each and everyone that, "This is the first time we've heard this. You're the only one..." Yet the Internet is chock full of people with these problems, many of which have posted actual correspondence with each of these companies. They are all stonewalling because solutions would require inter-corporate cooperation - which is about as likely as pigs flying.

11 Posts

April 22nd, 2008 03:00

I have this problem on Windows XP SP2, Officescan AV (not Symantec).

I've installed the latest N-Trig driver from Dell (3/28) but it does not help with this issue.

If I boot without being connected to the Mediabase, I don't get the problem. With the Mediabase, I always get this error.

31 Posts

April 22nd, 2008 21:00

Did you disable execute-disable (I think they got fancy and abbreviated it to "XD" under BIOS-Security)? 

We don't have a Mediabase.

Currently the only problems left for us are the fingerprint security is disabled because its useless, and Symantec causes the logon script to hang.

N-Trig stopped being a problem after disabling XD.

There must be something peculiar about the motherboard architecture/chipset. N-Trig and antivirus don't seem to have issues on other computers, only the XT.

As for Broadcom fingerprint security, no matter what laptop you seem to have, I've yet to hear of a single machine that is working adequately. This product is a complete rip-off.

5 Posts

April 29th, 2008 07:00

Same problem here.

We have two XTs and both with the media base.

XT Nr. 1 works perfect without any problems.

Win XP SP2, AviraAntivir (no Symantec) and full configurated Wave System fingerprint security (preeboot + windows login)

XT Nr. 2 gets this NtrigApplet Can't connevt to driver

Win XP Sp2, eTrust AntiVir (no Symantec), no configurated Wave System fingerprint security

i will try to disable the execute-disable, maybe it works but i do not understand why this problem exists if the other XT works perfect.

@JeffO-no

The problem with the domain logon is not realy true. (with Windows Server DC)

i am still using the fingerprint with the domain logon and it works fine. There is no problem with this and all scrips starts at the logon after checking the fingerprint. 

The only problem i found is, that the finger print did not work very well with the battery. pluged into the power it works but on the road powered over the battery i have some problems to login because the fingerprint recognize very well.

Message Edited by Mr. W on 04-29-2008 04:04 AM

1 Message

May 14th, 2008 14:00

I have an XT with the same NtrigApplet error.

Disabling the XD feature in Bios did not resolve my issue.  I have reinstalled the driver several times and have the latest release. (3-28)

I do not see the error when the unit is undocked.

Anyone else have any more luck isolating this problem?

Message Edited by jpm7624 on 05-14-2008 10:31 AM

31 Posts

May 14th, 2008 15:00

No luck here. I consider myself lucky the NTrig errors went away, since I don't have a clue what fixed it.

5 Posts

May 20th, 2008 06:00

No solution here, too.

In the BIOS under BIOS Security i do not have the oportunity to select "execute-disable" or i am to blind :(

The next step is, i will contact our support and if i have a solution, i will write back. 

5 Posts

May 20th, 2008 08:00

Soo... there are still alot of suppositions. :(

I get a call from DELL and the problem get now to the some technicals and they will call me back.

They think, that the problem is something with the media base and some drivers.

They think, that the drivers must be loaded in a special order.

But now i will wait and write back if i have new infos. 

11 Posts

My company pays through the nose for Dell support, and we don't even get the courtesy of a follow-up from them.

5 Posts

I think i have realy good contacts to the DELL Support ;)

They talk now with the technic and they get the URL to this thread... after the lunch break, i will get more information.

11 Posts

You wouldn't be the first. I contacted Dell Australia support and they claimed that they had never heard of this issue, even when I supplied a link to this thread, noting that someone had reported it months ago. I still haven't heard back from them.

I also emailed NTrig some weeks ago and had no response. 

11 Posts

That sounds like what I told them a month ago...
No Events found!