Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 7th, 2013 19:00

Terrible Flash Player 11.8 performance on high spec Inspiron 7720 17R SE.

Hi

I'm experiencing terrible performance with anything related to Flash Player 11.8 - Youtube, BBC iPlayer etc. Video playback is choppy and jerky, and it's worse full screen.

When developing flash animations with software called SwishMax that uses an embedded ActiveX player, in-app performance is the same. Choppy, broken up.

I have tried with hardware acceleration on and off, but no difference.

I do not know if this is a Flash issue or a DELL laptop issue. It's a high spec machine - Core i7, 8GB, Win 7x64, NVidia 650M\2GB so there should be no problem with this.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Are there things I should check or reconfigure for optimum playback?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Richard

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 7th, 2013 21:00

Hi Richard,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Adobe Flash player on the system. Please follow the steps in the first link to uninstall the Adobe Flash player and then reinstall the Adobe Flash player using the second link.

Uninstall link         : http://dell.to/1cTTu3d

Install link              : http://dell.to/1dRK4s7

Please let me know if this helps.

September 8th, 2013 18:00

Thanks ... will need to test more but it does seem better overall after uninstalling and reinstalling.

However, it hasn't fixed the issue with the ActiveX Flash plugin used by Internet Explorer and a number of media applications which use the ActiveX Flash plugin to deliver embedded Flash content. Probably a Flash issue.

Thanks
Richard

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 10th, 2013 09:00

Hi Richard,

I would advise you to reset the Internet explorer settings and also try using the flash programs/applications in other browser like chrome or Firefox and let me know.

September 10th, 2013 19:00

Hi ...

The issue is with the performance of the ActiveX plugin itself.

As posted previously, the ActiveX flash plugin performs poorly in other applications which use embedded Flash, so it's not an Internet Explorer or browser issue.

Thanks
Richard

September 12th, 2013 09:00

Hi

There's absolutely no way I'm going to be doing that. This is my working laptop which I need for my business.

Thanks for your help
Richard

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 12th, 2013 09:00

Hi Richard,

The only way you can now check is by restoring the system to factory state. Please follow the steps mentioned below for performing the pc restore on a Windows 7 computer.

1. Back up all the data from the computer before proceeding to next steps.
  2. Unplug all the devices including your printer, camera and memory stick.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Press the "F8" key repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell logo. Do not stop until you see the Advanced Boot Options screen.
  5. Press the down arrow and choose "Repair your computer." Hit "Enter."
  6. Select the keyboard layout "US" from the drop-down menu and click "OK."
  7. Log into your account as an administrator. Type in your password. Click "OK."
  8. Click "Dell Factory Image Restore" at the bottom of the options.
  9. Click "Next" in the window that opens.
  10. Click to check the box next to "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition" to confirm and click "Next." This will generate an operation that will take about 45 minutes to complete. Click "Finish" when the process is complete to restart your computer.

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 15th, 2013 21:00

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the inconvienence. To further troubleshoot the issue we will have to perform the above steps. You can backup the data and restore the system to factory state to check for issue resolution.

No Events found!