Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

20 Posts

December 20th, 2008 05:00

Testing AC adapter output

Inspiron 8100 laptop

If I connect one probe of a continuity tester to one end of the output prong on the brick and the other probe to the corresponding end on the jack, shouldn't I be getting a reading? The only reading I get is when it is connected to the center prong on the brick and the center hole on the plug.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

315 Posts

December 20th, 2008 11:00

:^/ If you're connecting only one line of the power brick to only one line on the laptop's jack, you'll get no reading because you haven't completed the circuit.  The other line must be connected for current to flow.

Or maybe I'm not following you.

20 Posts

January 1st, 2009 14:00

guess I didn't explain myself very well. I'm not talking about connecting anything to the laptop. I want to test the AC adapter only. The AC adapter actually consists of two segments. One end of segment "A"  plugs into a wall outlet. The other end of segment "A" plugs into the three prongs on the brick. Segment "B" consists of the brick, with a cord coming out of it. The end of the cord on segment "B" connects to the power jack on the laptop.

I want to check the continuity of the three prongs on the brick (segment "B") and the end of the cord that comes out of the brick. The cord coming out of the brick has a plug with three female ends that connect to the male ends of the power jack on the laptop.

Shouldn't I get a reading on each of the three brick prongs and the three corresponding female ends of the cord?

Hope this makes more sense.

Thanks.

1.9K Posts

January 1st, 2009 19:00

The pin numbers are Looking at the front side of the plug:

/ 1 \
|3 2|

Pin # 1 is the Shield wire, Pin # 2 is DC voltage return wire and Pin # 03 is the Positive DC Voltage wire. If you read using a VOM set it to read DC Voltage. Attach the red lead to pin # 3 and the blacl lead to either # 1 or # 2 and if it is working you should see the rated output listed on the power rectifier or "brick".

You have to read from one pin to another in order to read anything. Only the # 3 has power if read from # 3 to either # 1 or 2. Reading from #1 to #3 it should read ZERO Volts.

pcgeek11

20 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 07:00

Thanks pcgeek11.

I didn't get any readings whatsoever. I think I can safely say the brick (or at least the cord coming out of it) is defective. I've ordered a replacement.

Thanks again.

No Events found!