Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 29th, 2009 18:00

The New Studio 17 + Intel Wifi Link 5300 ???

Hello.

I just ordered the new Studio 17 laptop core i7. i am really suprised to find out that dell currently does not offer the intel wifi link 5300 wireless card as an option. All the similar models offer this (especially for the core i7 one) and the chipset seems to be able to support it.

i talked to an agent and was informed that i can upgrade to the 5300 buy purchasing it from dell.com which is like 80 dollars. Now, this card is price under 40 dollars in amazon or ebay, and i was wondering if it will work even if i did not purchased it from dell.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Networking_Enterprise_Class/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=430-3128

What i am worried is that, the one dell.com offers seems to say that the manufacturer is dell , while the one that i was looking into is from intel. but there is no difference right?

Also, what is the difference between the half mini card and the mini card? it looks like i need to purchase the half mini card, but the sales rep told me to get one from the link provided which is "mini card", not half mini card. (i am refering this from the title, but the specs saids that its half mini card.. im so confused) i think there is size difference and i just wanted to be clear with that.

Well i hope you guys can get a chance to read over my worries. Thank you for your help!!

14.4K Posts

October 29th, 2009 19:00

the picture that dell shows is not the actual card. The actual card has 3 antenna hookups. I have this card in my Studio XPS 16 and it is mini card. a half mini card is 1/2 the size.

What you really need to do is look at your system and find out where the 3 antenna wires will land and what size slot you have there. In order for you to get the full advantage of the card you need the 3 antenna hook up. 

I have mine linked to a linksys wrt610n router and get excellent speeds and connectivity.

38 Posts

October 29th, 2009 21:00

thank you for the response. so is it easy to install it?? i mean how do i know which antenna goes where??? also what is the difference between the half mini and the mini card? is there any performance differences?? and is it easily available to upgrade like the rams??

srry i got so many question.

Thank you very much for your responses.

14.4K Posts

October 30th, 2009 14:00

The card is easy to install one screw holds it in place. As for the antennas you should open up the bottom of the laptop to see where the antenna wires are. What exact model did you get as there are a few 17 series models.

38 Posts

October 30th, 2009 15:00

Hello,

I got the studio 17 that JUST came out. I believe it is the 1745/47. its the one with core i7 that CURRENTLY dell offers.

the basically, there are symbols that tell me where each antenna goes?? and again, how do i know whether i should buy the mini card or the half mini card??

Thank you for your help!

14.4K Posts

October 30th, 2009 15:00

You may be better off saving your money as after looking HERE it appears that your system only comes with two antennas. And since the 5300 is a MIMO card which needs the third antenna wire which is appears that the studio 17 does not have you would not really reap little benefit from the 5300 card.

38 Posts

October 30th, 2009 16:00

Oh...

the studio 17s without the core i7 can support the wifi link 5300. so do u think the reason why my system doesnt have 3 antennas is because of the motherboard, or because i ordered it with dell 1397 (two antennas)???

i cant believe this is happening...

thank you!!!!

14.4K Posts

October 30th, 2009 17:00

No i  don't think it has anything to do with ordering the system with a 1397. It appears that the three wire option is not offered on your model. OF course again the next step will be to actually open the bottom and see if there are three antennas in there.

38 Posts

Oh ok. i will open it up and see. thank you very much you REALLY helped!!! the dell sales rep told me that it will come with 3 antennas.

do u mind helping me upgrade it after i get my system?

Thank you.!!!!!

14.4K Posts

no problem

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 11:00

Hi Dave,

I currently have a Studio XPS 1640. My system came with an intel 5100 half-mini card and from the begining, I have noticed the sluggish connection and slow download rates. My older HP laptop is faster than this one. So, I decided to buy an intel 5300 half-mini card. Mine was $20 bucks on ebay (from China) and came with actual dvd driver. So I'm ready to install but I noticed that my current intel 5100 card has only 2 antennas. My new 5300 half-mini has 3 antennas. Where do I connect the third antenna? Is there a 3rd antenna hidden somewhere that I'm not aware of? The installation looks pretty easy except for the antenna issue. Please advice as to where I can connect the 3rd antenna or is there some kind of tutorial installation website I can go to. Thanks!

14.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 13:00

It is there you need to look around the middle slot I believe. there is a cable with 3 wires on it. I too go the 5100 but changed over to the 5300. so it is there. If I remember correctly it is in the WWAN slot The cables are marked by color as well as the pins on the card.

38 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 13:00

hey,

so perhaps the studio 1747 (core i7) that i was talking about will also have its 3rd antenna?? i think because the 1745 (without core i7) offers 5300.

or is it because studio xps 16 JUST HAS 3 antennas?

so is it true??

thank you!

14.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 14:00

One can only tell when the bottom is removed.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 14:00

Ok, I'll see if I can locate the 3rd antenna in the middle. I'll let you know, thanks!

2.4K Posts

November 10th, 2009 21:00

Correct me if I am wrong for you have the computer, but the 3 antenna wires usually come in black, white and grey.  With black and white connecting to the outside and grey in the middle. If you dont have the the third antenna then you would have to buy the card along with the third antenna. I have seen some ebay sellers offering the 5300 with antenna at purchase.

No Events found!