Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2012 20:00

The Symbols I used to obtain with my SHIFT key are all strange and non existent!......HELP!!!!!

Hi All,

I have a DELL XPS M 1330.  When I attempt to do a question mark or an blah...blah at gmail.com,  I can no longer do the at sign nor the question mark when I hold my SHIFT plus 2 or the SHIFT plus question mark.  I now get quotation marks with SHIFT plus 2 and I get (É or é) when I do SHIFT plus question!....Geez....  Any help to rectify this would be awesome as it just happened to me.  I tried a reboot which didn`t help but when I tried typing the stuff on the Notepad, it was fine.  Thanks in advance all!:)

SS

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 22:00

Hello,

The problem might be due to the change in the keyboard layout. However, before coming to the conclusion I’d suggest 2 steps.

1. Check in Safe Mode if the keys are working fine.
-- Restart the computer.
-- Keep tapping F8 key on the Dell logo Screen.
-- The computer goes to Advanced boot Options.
-- Select Safe Mode.
-- Press Enter.
Check in safe mode if the keys are working fine. Being in safe mode, follow the step 2.

2. Check in Command Prompt.
-- Click Start.
-- In Search program and files tab type in cmd.
-- Press Enter.
-- Check in the Window if the keys are working fine.
If the keys are working fine, follow the next step. Else the keyboard needs to be replaced.

-- Click Start.
-- In Search program and files tab type in keyboard layout.
-- The option as Change keyboard or other input methods comes up.
-- Click Change keyboard or other input methods.
-- Click the tab for Keyboard and Language.
-- Click Change keyboard.
-- Ensure the Default input language is set to English (United States) US.
-- Click Apply- Ok.
-- Restart the computer and check the functionality.

Please try the steps and post the results, would be glad to help you further. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

August 24th, 2012 07:00

Hey Allan D,

Thanks a ton bro!  It worked out brilliantly!  I was not looking forward to doing a new keyboard as I need my laptop for business & work!  Whew!  Followed all to the letter and walla, back in business!  All the best and the input was much appreciated!!!!!

Regards,

abom71

No Events found!