Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2011 12:00

Third Hard Drive in 4 Months

Hi Everyone,

I have a Studio 1557, and am on my THIRD hard drive in four months.  I have an extended warranty (thank goodness), and Dell Support has been great in getting the new drives to me in a timely fashion.

I received my first hard drive back in December, second hard drive again in March, and my third just yesterday.  The drives that I have been sent are "refurbished".  Every hard drive replacement has been due to Dell Support Center's PC Checkup stating that the drive failed multiple tests and was going to fail soon.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this with their drives?  The Support team has been great, but taking a day or two to get everything loaded back on to the computer has been really frustrating. 

Any help you could give me would be great!  Hope you are all having a great day!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 20th, 2011 14:00

New drives that arrive with the operating system and all original OEM programs on them have to be classified as refurbished since the drive must be opened. If it were a new drive it would be an empty drive in a sealed package. Invest in an inexpensive external hard drive and use win 7's Backup and Restore regularly to have a System Image with the OS and all your personal files and programs and the operating system ready for a disaster or replacement drive. It would take very little time to restore everything.

90 Posts

April 20th, 2011 16:00

Three drives in such a short time is a VERY bad run and to me suggests it's not the drives that are the problem but more likely a controller or motherboard issue.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 20th, 2011 16:00

The two biggest killers of drives are shock and heat - assuming the system isn't being subjected to rough handling, then make sure it's not overheating.

5.2K Posts

April 20th, 2011 17:00

Before doing another replacement, test the drive using the Dell diagnostics, F12 at the boot screen. You can also fine free drive test utilities for a confirmation. Try HD Tune.

5 Posts

April 21st, 2011 11:00

Hi Ejn63,  thanks for reply!  The system is handled very well, so heat may be a factor!  I will keep that in mind, thanks!

5 Posts

Hi Mary! Thanks for your suggestion. I have an external hard drive, but don't use Win 7 backup. I will try that!

5 Posts

Hi Malreid, thanks for your response!  I had the motherboard replaced in December, but I will keep the motherboard in mind if I have any more issues!

5 Posts

Hi KirkD, I will try those utilities!  Thank you!

No Events found!