Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

July 17th, 2005 23:00

Third Party AC Adapter for 600m

This weekend I went from home in Georgia to a weekend of work in Philadelphia, leaving my AC Adapter for my Inspiron 600m at home. So I checked to see if there was any third party adapter I could purchase locally. MicroCenter had a Targus universal adapter that listed the 600m on its package. It's a multi-source adapter (car, plane, wall) for $80. But when I checked the website I discovered the unit would power my 600m but not charge the battery. Apparently the IGO will not charge the battery either.

I chatted with tech support and all they could say is that adapters are available from Dell (shipping in 24 hours, not the one to two weeks claimed on the website), but I needed something that night.

Anyway I decided to make do with web access to email and using my wife's notebook computer.

So is there no third-party power supply that will work? And is there some proprietary circuitry needed for charging the battery?

Dave

3 Posts

April 13th, 2007 15:00

I had the same problem with a Targus APA10US -It runs my laptop, but won't charge the battery.  Too bad because it is 1/2 the size of the 1lb 'brick' supplied by Dell and would be great for on the road.  Dell even advertises the APA10US on its website!

April 15th, 2007 02:00

Does it charge when the laptop is off?

3 Posts

April 15th, 2007 04:00

Battery does not charge wether the laptop is on or off.  Dell Inspiron E1405 BIOS detects adapter type and only allows Dell PA12 to charge battery.
No Events found!