Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 6th, 2015 03:00

This copy of windows is not Genuine.So how do I make it genuine with the help of Dell Windows CD ?

I have the Windows updates installed as normal,the Microsoft Security Essentials is updated as normal still it shows this copy of Windows is not genuine.

With the Operating System CD the problem is that It might require a Key which is present on the Microsoft COA which is missing so how can I make it genuine as it used to be

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 6th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

There are various reasons that you would get such an error.

1-The previous version on Operating system should be a activate / registered version.

2- During the upgrade ensure that the internet is connected when the prompt comes up.

3-Ensure that you let the Upgrade installs all the packages,drivers and updates to avoid compatibility issues.

Please check the following before you upgrade.

Thanks

Robin

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2015 06:00

System model?

OS and version?

Did you install the OS yourself?

Did you use the Dell recovery media to do the install?

18 Posts

August 6th, 2015 06:00

It is registered version or else I would not be able to Install the Windows Update.The problem is that its annoying to see that Windows is not genuine pop's up and miss some features on the licensed version

36 Posts

August 6th, 2015 07:00

Hey guys,

not sure if it will help but when I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and then proceeded to Windows updates, 8,1 was shows as not activated.

Turns out, the computer time was not set properly. All it took was to sync with the internet Time and voila! Window was activated.

All the best :emotion-1:

18 Posts

August 15th, 2015 13:00

Model:Dell Inspiron N5050

OS Windows 7

Version 64bit Ultimate

No

No

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2015 14:00

The license key for the OEM copy of Windows is either on the bottom of the system or under the battery -- what version is the system licensed for?  It's unlikely a budget system like this would have shipped with Windows Ultimate.

The originally shipped OS should also be listed at support.dell.com (under Original Configuration).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 16th, 2015 16:00

Model:Dell Inspiron N5050

OS Windows 7

Version 64bit Ultimate

No

No

Its time to prepare for the free upgrade to Windows 10... Since you cannot make your base install genuine, upgrade via the 10130 Windows Insider Preview:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

22 Posts

August 16th, 2015 17:00

Hi,

I had the same problem every time I reinstall my windows

But still using the serial provided with my windows CD

You miss the key as you said but Microsoft sadly don't provide key verification if you lost it ..

Because they don’t want anybody to re-use a key from an old computer

I suggest you 2 solutions:

- Buy a new version (it costs 100-150$).

- Research the old key on registry.

I hope that you resolve the problem soon

No Events found!