Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2016 10:00

Thunderbolt charging devices

Hi all, I'm a little confused at the moment as I just received a usb type c charging cable, thinking my dell XPS 15 9550 would charge my device samsung s6 faster. But in fact it charges my phone twice as slow as the USB 3.0 port does.

Now where I am confused, why is it the USB 3.0 charges at one level, and the thunderbolt port charges the device twice as slow. E.g when connected to USB 3.0 it shows charging time 1:42, but when connected to thunderbolt it shows up as 4:53.

Is the thunderbolt port not suppose to be able to deliver much higher charging to devices than the USB 3.0 port?

7 Posts

September 12th, 2016 16:00

No idea anyone?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 12th, 2016 17:00

Quite a few Samsung devices are sensitive to the cable -- mine trips an error if other than the original cable is used and throttles back the charge rate. It may well not be thee cable, but the phone that's the cause.

7 Posts

September 13th, 2016 10:00

I agree that the Samsung S6 can be fussy on the wires it uses. But I noticed whilst testing that the thunderbolt description in device manager disappears after rebooting the system. If I install the driver, it reappears until the next reboot when it disappears again.

So I am not sure where the problem lies, is it that the driver is not installing properly? Or is it the actual wire itself (even though the wire is rated for 2.1A), or is it the phone.

One way I've been checking is by using Ampere app which shows you how much mAh it is drawing from the ports. This is how I know for definet that the Thunderbolt is giving less mAh than the USB 3.0

What are the maximum mA charging rates suppose to be for the USB 3.0 Powerhare and the Thunderbolt.

USB 3.0 is feeding out about 700mAh

Thunderbolt is feeding out about 400-500mAh

1. Is the thunderbolt capable of charging devices at full power "15W to bus-powered devices"?

thunderbolttechnology.net/.../thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

2. What should the maximum mAh the thunderbolt3 should provide?

3. I currently use a car charger rated 2.0A which works well charging the device as fast as my wall charger. Is thunderbolt3 capable of delivering 2.0A charging over USB to devices?

I've managed to fix all the problems with this Dell XPS 9550 minus this one issue.

No Events found!