Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

June 26th, 2017 11:00

Touch and Pen function is missing

My touch screen function stopped working about a year after buying this laptop. One day it was working fine, and the next it just stopped working. 

I have spent hours on google trying to find a solution to this issue and nothing seems to be working. In fact, under system information, it says 'No Pen and Touch Input is available for this display.' when I know full well I've been using the touch screen function for over a year just fine.  

I have another laptop, same make and model just bought it 3 months later. I've been to the Device Manager under Human Interface Devices where it is supposed to have 'HID Compliant touch Screen' there is nothing there that has anything to do with a Touch Screen.

Can someone please help me with this? I payed for the touch screen function and Its driving me nuts to not be able to use it.  

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

June 26th, 2017 12:00

Hi NoFear89,

Can you Private Message me your Service Tag on the system? Or at least let me know the model number and OS the system is running. Also, does your other system show the touch screen in Device Manager correctly, or are both not showing this?

Best regards,

Brad

5 Posts

June 26th, 2017 12:00

Hi Brad,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5559 Touch Screen. Does that help?

My other system does show the touch screen function under the system information and under the Device Manager.

5 Posts

June 26th, 2017 13:00

ok, I updated my BIOS driver and it seems to have reversed everything that was wrong. Why on earth would an update completely erase such an important driver??

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 26th, 2017 13:00

When this happens, try reconnecting the cable that plugs into the mainboard from the panel.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the display assembly needs to be replaced.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

June 26th, 2017 15:00

Thanks for updating the thread with your posts, hopefully the reason the BIOS update fixed this was because with all of the Windows updates it allowed the hardware to be found easier once Windows loaded etc, however I do not see any notes like this so it could just be a coincidence (but hopefully not). 

Let us know if you have any further issues. 

Best regards,

Brad

5 Posts

June 26th, 2017 16:00

Alright. I was so excited that it was finally fixed. After dinner I opened the laptop lid from sleep mode, my touch function did not work again. I checked the Device manager did not have HID Compliant Touch Screen and my system information says No Touch or Pen support for this display.

About 5 minutes into writing this to you, my screen blinked and everything now works again. Including device manager saying touch screen and system info saying that I have touch support with 10 touch points.

Do you have any clue why it would go in and out like that?!

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

June 27th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the update, can you go ahead and private message me the Service Tag on the system? As per ejn63, it sounds like it might be a bad display/touch interface, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. 

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!