Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2012 17:00

Touchpad Buttons not responding

Inspiron N5050 : both my left and right touchpad buttons are unresponsive, already shutdown, touchpad and touchpad buttons are enabled. toucpad working just fine.

Hi benok78

Welcome to the Dell Community.

In response to your query I suggest you uninstall your existing touchpad drivers, and use the below link to reinstall it. To uninstall, click start, right click on computer, click on properties, click on device manager, click on the symbol next to pointing devices, right click on the respective touchpad driver and click on uninstall and confirm it, after its removed install it using the below link and restart your computer.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Thanks & Regards

DELL_Sneha_Mangalam  

Dell Social Media Responder

Hi BENOK78,

Welcome to  the Dell community.
I would request you to add me as a friend and private message the service tag   as to  check the warranty  status and configuration of the computer depending on which I will advise the course of action

4 Posts

June 26th, 2014 22:00

I just fixed this and registered on here to respond to everyone having this issue.

I had the exact same issue. I finally got tired of it and opened up the laptop to figure out what was going on. Looks like there's a design flaw with the n5050 and a couple of other models that can cause the ribbon cable for the touchpad buttons to wiggle loose. All you need to do is take off the touchpad/palmrest disconnect the ribbon cable on the bottom of it for the click buttons(probably disconnected and dirty like mine was), blow gently to get dust out, and reconnect it. Here's a video tutorial that will take you through how to do this step by step. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLIAZFLVrqs It actually shows you how to replace it but if you just do what I did, take it apart and clean/re-seat the connectors, you should be fine.

The connector I'm talking about is the little tiny one going from the bottom of the click buttons to the bottom of the touchpad itself. It can be seen at 2:37 in the video at the top of the video coming out of the metal brackets under the click buttons and the connector is on the bottom of the clickpad. It's ity bitty and all of the ribbon cables are fragile so please be careful and do all this at your own risk.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

No Events found!