Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2012 23:00

Touchpad disabling on 6420

Can anybody please advise... how do I disable the touchpad?  Have tried various suggestions except for removal, which I don't really wish to do.  Would rather have auto disable when USB mouse inserted, however driver is not allowing this and no update available.  Someone, somewhere must love these things... I don't except for when actually mobile/travelling.  Thanks in advance...

3.8K Posts

January 30th, 2012 00:00

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Community. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Touchapd drives. to uninstall click on start, right click computer, click on properties, click on hardware, device manager, click on the symbol next to Pointing Devices, right click on Dell Touchpad and click on uninstall, click ok to confirm. Once removed click on the below link to download and install the touchpad drivers for your system. Restar the computer after installing.

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

After restart, click on start, control panel, mouse, wait for the Dell Touchpad image to appear and click on it, and under mouse you should have a option to disable touchpad when a USB mouse is connected.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

January 30th, 2012 00:00

Hi Royan,

Unfortunately, this is possibly the first avenue I tried... to no avail... the option does not appear, only the basic mouse controls.  This is of course unless I need wait a very long time...

Current driver version: 6.1.7600.16385

Hope that you have a better idea for me?  Please...

Kind regards,

Mike.

3.8K Posts

January 30th, 2012 01:00

Hi Michael,

Do not restore your computer, after you have removed the driver from device manager, because it will reinstall the same version of the driver. After its removed from device manager, click on the link and update the driver and then restart your computer.

Thank you

Royan

3.8K Posts

HI Michael,

Uninstall the touchpad driver, and try using a different verion of the driver below, and then check your mouse settings.

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

Thank you

Royan

Hi again Royan,

Ok, I tried uninstalling followed of course by restart, then it automatically reinstalled the driver.  Same driver.  I then tried to actually delete the driver file, only my computer wouldn't allow... need try same now in safe mode.  Then some re-starts possibly and to upload a driver rather than re-install.  Will report in a little while...

Thanks Mike.

January 30th, 2012 02:00

The driver install worked perfectly, thank you Royan...  Excellent!

No Events found!