Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2017 06:00

Touchpad exasperating as to right-click behavior

My single-surface touchpad is exasperating and I would never buy this model if I knew... Much of the time, a right-click behaves simply as a left click. For instance, a multiple hits Google search page disappears and becomes simply the one selection I'd intended to "open in new tab" from the customary drop-open submenu, which fails to appear upon right-clicking a hit.

Also, right-clicking a highlighted block of text often simply removes the highlighting instead of providing a drop-open submenu for "copy" or "cut" or the like. 

I'm trying to get in the habit of substituting two-finger taps for right clicks, but that choice is unreliable and fails rather often.

Dell ought to be all over this, but improved drivers haven't been offered.  Short of resigning myself to using an external mouse on a table top (not exactly why we wanted a laptop with touchpad in the first place), is there anything I can do to improve this temperamental touchpad's performance?  I've done my best with settings; nothing corrects the performance problem described here.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 17th, 2017 06:00

For our users to assist, it would be helpful to know which Dell model, what operating system, and what touchpad driver is installed (check the Device Manager).

10 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 02:00

(Apparently I may be unable to remove "Belarc report" attachments here, that were wrong with respect to this computer, so...)  Please disregard the Belarc reports and instead accept my direct answer to which Dell model, and what operating system.  Mine is a Dell  Inspiron 5555 A12.  Its operating system is Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.125)   As to what touchpad driver is installed, checking the Device Manager yields nothing bearing such a label, so I hope the attached screenshot of my Device Manager display will satisfy your request.

1 Attachment

No Events found!