Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2013 15:00

Touchpad freezes on Inspiron 13z with Touchguard

After continued use, the touchpad freezes (or is disabled) completely on my Inspiron 13z.  That is, swiping does not cause the cursor to move.  

Important details:

• Windows 7 Ultimate, all updates installed
  • BIOS updated to A16
  • Latest Dell Touchpad drivers are installed from dell.com
  • A reboot does re-enable the Touchpad, but only for a little while.  Regular use causes the Touchpad to stop working.
  • This behavior is *only* for the Touchpad. External mice are unaffected.
  • This *only* happens when Touchguard™ is enabled.  When I disable Touchguard, the touchpad works again.  Re-enabling Touchguard freezes the touchpad again.  Before you say that I should just turn off Touchguard, realize that I *want* to be able to use Touchguard, which is a good feature to prevent accidental cursor movement from hitting the touchpad when I'm typing.
  • This happens not only when I *am* typing, but even when I'm *not* typing.  So it isn't just that Touchguard is doing what it's supposed to do; it seems to not release the touchpad at all from "typing" state.
  • While the touchpad stops working, the touchpad *buttons* do *not* stop working.
Can anyone help?  Or am I out of luck?
Thanks!

July 19th, 2013 00:00

Hi a_h_roth,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

It is unfortunate that you are facing issue with the Touchpad and I appreciate that you have tried a couple of steps to isolate the problem.

I’d suggest you to please perform a Diagnostics on the computer to check the functionality of the Touchpad, please click on the link below

http://dell.to/We70YO

Click on the option FULL and click on Run Diagnostics, which will perform a full system check diagnostics and will let you know if the device is functional

and in case any error message please make a note of it.

Do reply us back with the findings.

4 Posts

July 19th, 2013 06:00

Thanks, Munawar.  I'm running the diagnostic now, but I doubt that it will find anything.  I'm pretty sure that the hardware is fine; I think that it's a software issue with Touchguard.  Remember that the touchpad works fine when Touchguard is disabled.

I will keep you posted in any case.

4 Posts

July 19th, 2013 07:00

Munuwar, the diagnostic has been running for over 1.5 hours, and still hasn't completed.  Has it failed?  How long should I give it?

4 Posts

July 19th, 2013 10:00

It's been 3 hours and 45 minutes.  Shall I just end the diagnostics?

July 22nd, 2013 03:00

Hi a_h_roth,

Apologize for the delay in response,

We Appreciate that you’ve done a couple of steps and I believe the hardware is working fine after the Diagnostics were performed.

Please try and install a similar software called “Touch Freeze” which will resolve the issue with the Touchpad freezing.

Click on the below link to download the Touch Freeze software.

http://bit.ly/k4Ebd

Click on External Mirror, Download and Install the software and restart the computer to check the functionality.

Do reply us back if any issues.

1 Message

July 24th, 2013 08:00

I am having the same issue with Windows 8 on Latitude.

So the proposed solution is to turn off TouchGuard and use a third party tool?

July 25th, 2013 01:00

Hi ykphuah,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

Please turn off the Touchguard application and Install the Touch freeze software, this has helped in fixing the issue with the Touchpad freezing.

Click on the link below to Install the Touch freeze software.

http://bit.ly/k4Ebd

Click on the option External Mirror, Download and Install the software and restart the computer to check the same.

Let us know if this helps.

No Events found!