Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2013 04:00

Touchpad not showing up in Device Manager

Hello,

I've a severe problem with my laptop. The DELL touchpad isn't working at all. I've tried updating the drivers etc, but when I went into Device Manager to see if it was showing up with a yellow triangle, I noticed that it was completely absent. I have had a technician out recently and he replaced my motherboard and cleaned out the system because of over heating issues. But now recently it seems the touchpad wasn't plugged in right. I still have a couple weeks left on warranty, so am wondering is this a case for another technician to come out to fix the error that the other technician may have caused? Or am I missing something? Usually by my book, once the device isn't in Device Manager, that usually means its not in right. 

Some help quickly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

6 Posts

September 12th, 2014 00:00

After spending a lot of time I manage to solve the issue. I have to install windows 8 x 64 and run the drivers from the Dell site. Windows 8 x 32 have the problem.

750 Posts

July 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi Gygex,

May I know if there are any Unknown Devices listed in Device Manager under Other Devices? Also, have you tried updating the BIOS?

To update BIOS:

• Please visit: http://dell.to/10GaKAc
  • Enter the computer’s service tag and click Submit
  • Click Drivers & Downloads tab, and select the operating system installed to view compatible drivers
  • Download and run the BIOS file
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS

Note: Ensure that the battery charge is minimum 15% and also connect the AC Adapter while updating the BIOS.

Do let me know the results.

750 Posts

July 9th, 2013 06:00

Hi Gygex,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved. Feel free to post in the community for any issues. We'd be glad to assist.

12 Posts

July 9th, 2013 06:00

New BIOS update that was release today fixed that funnily enough. A15. Thank you very much, glad its not a hardware issue. *puts screwdriver down* :)

1 Message

June 15th, 2014 01:00

hi,

i bought a new dell inspiron 15 3542

it came with ubuntu but i installed windows 8 on the system after removing ubuntu

now i have a problem here that my wifi is not working and neither my touchpad

i tried installing all kinds of drivers and everything but its still not working.

in device manager neither the touchpad is listed nor the wifi card .

also when i run system diagnostics after pressing f12 from boot options my touchpad is working fine and the in cables it shows wlan connected properly.

1 Message

July 8th, 2014 03:00

i have got exactly the same problem like godara7 .

i have updated BIOS too,but no improvement.

did you get any solution? pls help me

6 Posts

August 26th, 2014 00:00

I got the some problem. I manage to get wifi updated the drivers but I do nothing with touchpad. The bios in the intenet is A02 and I have A03. Have you any solution?

12 Posts

August 26th, 2014 09:00

Sry, with our particular laptop the motherboard, heatsink and touchpad are suseptable to being faulty. Call support and tell them to send someone out to replace the touchpad and reset the connection. They will most likely replace the entire keyboard. And if youre on warranty likr i assume you are, its all free. They are very quick and professional too. 

Im sorry there is no software update or bios update to fix that. Its simply a faulty product.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2014 01:00

Hi Gygex,

I called support today but they don't like to replace the touchpad. When I run system diagnostics after pressing F12 from boot options my touchpad is working fine. That is the reason that they don't like to replace it. They ask me put back the Linux. That the solution for them.

I am waiting for an answer.

Thanks

5 Posts

August 28th, 2014 23:00

Same is the case with my laptop. DELL should replace the laptop if it cannot replace the touch pad.

6 Posts

September 11th, 2014 00:00

DELL refuse to do anything because I change the operation system from Linux to Windows 8.1. They told me that they not support the p/c because it was sold with Linux. They refuse even to give  me an e-mail to complain to mother DELL.

Can anybody help me to find a solution with mother DELL in USA?

1 Message

November 3rd, 2014 02:00

Dear user... I too bought the same laptop dell 3542 with Linux pre loaded. But now I boot my system with windows 8 X 64, now my device manager doesn't show my touchpad. What driver should I used to enable my touchpad. Thanks in advance..

please give me the link for download

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 03:00

22 Posts

February 19th, 2016 01:00

I solved that issue by installing the notepad driver form dell (it did probably unistall the previous one, it now appear in the mouse setting, and I can even disable it using F3). don't know yet if it solved the jumping issue.

inspiron 3520

No Events found!