Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 12th, 2017 02:00

Touchpad / pointer moving by itself

My new Dell Latitude E7470 is currently having a problem where my mouse cursor moves by itself. This is very annoying as it will move even as I am trying to use it, and it also wakes up my screen and keyboard backlight. It can go for a period of time without happening, and then all of a sudden it starts in 5-10 second intervals. Each time moving an centimetre or so to the right.

I've narrowed it down to an issue with touchpad and/or pointer stick as I turned the touchpad off in the BIOS and the issue seemed to go away.

At first I thought this was an OS/driver issue as I exclusively use Ubuntu 16.04 on the machine, and Linux is know to be buggy with hardware, but then I realised it also happens while in the actual BIOS. If it is happening in the BIOS menu then surely it can't be an OS issue. My BIOS version is 1.12.3

Has anyone else come across this issue? I do have next day on-site warranty, but thought I'd check before going through that process since I don't know if Dell will process my next day warranty while I'm running Linux, even though I don't believe Linux is the issue.

Thanks.

2K Posts

February 12th, 2017 04:00

Hi DIGITALFORT,

When did the issue start? Does this happen with or without the adapter connected? Is there any damage on the system?

Is the system equipped with a touchscreen? If yes, disable the touchscreen and check the system functionality - http://bit.ly/2kWdDk2

If the touchpad is still erratic in BIOS and OS environment while the touchscreen is disabled, then the issue could be hardware related.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!