Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2016 10:00

Touchpad stops working

I bought a brand new laptop from Dell.  The touchpad kept crashing.  After several months of calling tech support, having the laptop serviced remotely, and sending it in twice for repairs, all without success, Dell sent me a new computer.  After only three days, the same thing is now happening with the new one.

I haven't downloaded any new programs, everything is up-to-date, and when I check the touchpad settings, it shows everything as being enabled.  The touchpad stops working randomly, on different websites and in different programs.  I never had this problem on any previous Dell laptops.  I can't think what I might be doing to cause this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.  These were both brand new computers with the exact same issue.  Is Dell simply incapable of making a decent computer any more?  I used to love Dell; this was my fifth Dell computer, but maybe it's time to look elsewhere.   

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 1st, 2016 08:00

:emotion-2:

Please list your Dell model number and version of windows?  Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

Also, which touch pad is on your system? Dell or some type of Generic touchpad ( Precision ) ? If you don't know it then I suggest you go to device manager, and then look under "Mice and other pointing devices".

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 1st, 2016 10:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly.....

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be of help.

www.dell.com/.../{doclang}

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

'Dell sent me a new computer. After only three days, the same thing is now happening with the new one"

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system.....

I'd suggest you check if the latest windows updates are installed on your system. At the left bottom of taskbar, please click windows logo, Settings,Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. After restart, I also suggest you click on the 'Update History" and check if there is any fail windows update.

9 Posts

November 1st, 2016 12:00

Thank you for the link.  I will check it out.

9 Posts

Hi, and thank you for responding.  I have Windows 10, an Inspiron 7559, ELAN input device.

9 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion.  Everything is up-to-date.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 1st, 2016 13:00

The touchpad driver( ELAN input device} is coming from your windows updates(Microsoft com). You can run the troubleshooting tools on the system. Please type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, click view all, and then windows update. I also suggest you run "Hardware & Devices, and System Maintenance.

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 12:00

Thank you for this and all your other posts.  I will try doing this.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 16:00

You can post the same question on the Microsoft community forum as well. Hopefully you're able to resolve the touchpad issue in the very near future. Please keep us updated.

answers.microsoft.com/.../

9 Posts

November 4th, 2016 12:00

Thanks, I will try posting there.  I tried to fix the drivers (okay, I contacted Geek Squad and they fixed the drivers), but my touchpad crashed again this morning.  I'm getting to the point where I've lost all faith in computers.  Sigh...

Thanks again for the help. :)

No Events found!