Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2015 20:00

Trackpad Issues for XPS 13 (9343, Early 2015)

Hi!

I have the Dell XPS 13 2015 edition, core i5, 8gm ram, 128gb SSD, nontouch 1080p. I am experiencing problems with 1) excessive fan noise (which has been discussed in VARIOUS other forums but I don't see the issue resolved yet) and 2) TRACKPAD functioning. 

My trackpad worked flawlessly for the first few days but randomly the drivers have a glitch and starts jumping around the screen. Sometimes, the trackpad doesn't work entirely (no movement), other times it moves and I can't click anything. I called the support system and they restored my computer to a previous date after insisting that it's a driver problem (it is because it worked again), and instructed me to send an email if the problem persists (IT DID). A few weeks later I still haven't gotten an email back. 

I am very upset.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem and know how to solve it? I searched on the driver site as well and there has been no updates.

2 Posts

March 10th, 2015 00:00

I recently got this laptop as well and I absolutely hate the trackpad right now. It also works for me for a while then gets really jumpy and sometimes freezes in place.

When I restart or close the laptop the problem seems to go away for a bit but then always comes back. I have about a week and a half till I run out of time to return this machine. Because Dell is relying on Windows for trackpad drivers, I know this is not a Dell issue and mainly a windows driver problem, but if the windows drivers were so terrible for the laptop, why wouldn't they make their own? I don't know how this laptop ever made it out of QC. Whoever said this laptop's trackpad is acceptable for the consumers should probably be fired.

I was hoping dell had turned over a new leaf with this xps series but to put so little effort into the most crucial component of a laptop is completely idiotic.

Posting this from my 4 year old macbook air that has had a flawless typing and trackpad experience. Why can't Dell get it right?

1 Message

March 12th, 2015 10:00

I received my XPS13 8 days ago and the Track pad functionality is very irritating.  I wouldn't say I'm experiencing the same issues not working at all, but I just find it to be difficult and frustrating to use the laptop.  Numerous times when I try and click on things it moves the cursor ever so lightly where it doesn't register and I have to reposition.  I personally find it difficult to use the bottom buttons that are integrated into the pad...I think this may play a part into my issue.  I'm coming from a Toshiba that I used for 5 years with separate buttons below the track pad.

The fan does come on quite a bit for me as well, but haven't considered this to be a problem.  I am hoping I get used to it over the next coupe weeks, but it may be returned for a new Mac if I still find the track pad to be frustrating.  I have found myself grabbing my old computer that runs much slower just because it is easier to use.

The rest of the computer is great...very nice design and it runs great, but having such an important item as the track pad be a problem is a big issue.  I don't want to have to use a separate mouse.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2015 08:00

I really like the small footprint with a big screen though. I really agree. I hope they fix the drivers soon because it's getting really, really annoying. I connected a wireless mouse just in case and actually prefer it to the trackpad but I really do miss my Macbook trackpad (my Macbook died after 6 years RIP).

4 Posts

March 13th, 2015 08:00

I received my XPS13 8 days ago and the Track pad functionality is very irritating.  I wouldn't say I'm experiencing the same issues not working at all, but I just find it to be difficult and frustrating to use the laptop.  Numerous times when I try and click on things it moves the cursor ever so lightly where it doesn't register and I have to reposition.  I personally find it difficult to use the bottom buttons that are integrated into the pad...I think this may play a part into my issue.  I'm coming from a Toshiba that I used for 5 years with separate buttons below the track pad.

The fan does come on quite a bit for me as well, but haven't considered this to be a problem.  I am hoping I get used to it over the next coupe weeks, but it may be returned for a new Mac if I still find the track pad to be frustrating.  I have found myself grabbing my old computer that runs much slower just because it is easier to use.

I think the trackpad is annoying but the more annoying part was when I contacted Dell Support (email) and got NO responses to it (only a confirmation that they received and will reply in "24-48 hours"; a few weeks later, still nothing). And when I call, they tell me to email them. ??????? 

The fan is a problem because it shouldn't get so loud on low usage. 

9 Posts

March 13th, 2015 11:00

Yes. There is a huge problem; not only with the trackpad drivers but with the firmware as well. I worked on fixing this issue myself for about 1 week straight. 

I got mine to work good enough, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure Dell will be releasing drivers as well as a firmware update to the trackpad soon. If not, they can expect to be receiving a return on mine soon.

I'm guessing this was rushed to production in time for CES this year. It did great and even won an award for innovation. Obviously the "judges" didn't use the trackpad for 45 minutes. Also, all this negativity about the trackpad, all over the Internet, pretty much nullyify any good that innovation award did for Dell. Proving why Dell is still a typical Windows laptop manufacturer.

But... like I said, expect an updated driver and firmware update for the trackpad soon. I guess that only leaves speculation to the word "soon".

1 Message

March 18th, 2015 10:00

As of March 11, I am in receipt of my new Dell 2015 13" XPS...Touchscreen with 256GB.

The challenge I have (and with very little bloat-ware installed) out of the box, the SSD capacity was not 256 but, 230GB. Secondly, once adding only Adobe Pro and MS Office Pro, I am down to 194GB. That's 23% of the capacity gone in the first week.

Lastly, though the fit and feel is great, the battery life with mild use and medium screen backlighting is hovering at 6hrs vs the 10-15 advertised.

Just thinking out loud.

2 Posts

May 8th, 2015 00:00

I ended up returning my XPS just before the 30 days were up. Everything else about the laptop was really nice. The footprint, screen, battery life ect. It is a shame they went with using Windows 8 Drivers to run the trackpad. Every time windows did an update in the background the trackpad would break/stop working until I restarted. It also seems many M$ applications crashed the trackpad drivers and I had to log out/in to windows. 

Dell if you are reading this, feel free to send me a XPS 13" 2016 and I will do proper testing and QC on the laptop as it seems that the people you actually hire to QC the laptops for every day situations are not very good at their jobs or are too afraid to say bad things about the product.

:D

1 Message

May 31st, 2015 11:00

Thank you all for posting regarding the problems with the trackpad.  I was so impressed with the reviews elsewhere, I was not only going to buy the new XPS to replace my 8 year old XPS  but recommend it to my firm for our fleet of loaners.  Apparently, the online reviewers didn't test-drive the demos long enough for the trackpad to act up.  Its particularly telling that no Dell rep has responded to these complaints.

17 Posts

June 1st, 2015 09:00

Send it back! Dell has no respect for it's customers after they have your money.

After many months it is obvious that Dell is not going to provide drivers that allow adjustments to the trackpad.

I missed the 30 day window because I used a Bluetooth mouse to set mine up because from the start I could not use the trackpad and the 30 days were gone before I knew it, plus I was out of the country during that time frame, which threw me off course on the issues, my old MSI wind has a better trackpad then my XPS13 2015 QHD.

It sure is a lie when Dell calls this trackpad precision, what a joke on us all!

5 Posts

June 5th, 2015 15:00

I'm with you. I thought this would be a great laptop, but if I don't use a mouse, it's essentially unusable. The trackpad is the worst I have ever used on any PC in my life. These things should be getting better over time, not worse. There's no excuse for it. 

If anyone is reading this while considering the purchase of an XPS-13, don't make the same mistake we did. Get a computer that is built to be at least functional.

5 Posts

August 17th, 2015 19:00

Generally very happy with my XPS 13 (2015).  

My current issue however - which brought me to this thread - is that that the trackpad freezes after a few seconds of holding the left button. So, imagine selecting a block of text or using the snip tool and suddenly - after a few seconds (no consistency in the timing) - the trackpad is just no longer responsive.  This happens all the time.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Help?

August 23rd, 2015 16:00

Almost everybody and his cousin is experiencing the same issues with the *** trackpad: getting a life of its own (moving like a fly all over the screen) or just dying. All the driver, Windows and BIOS updates I did had no effect (although I had hopes for a few days after the BIOS update).

DELL ! ARE YOU LISTENING????

3 Posts

November 25th, 2015 11:00

A few extra clues that may help some users:

I have an XPS M1330 running Win7 and began having problems with cursor jumping randomly around when typing messages. Search for solution fingered (no pun intended) touchpad sensitivity as a possible culprit. In the process of pursuing this, found I couldn't access controls via Device Manager or Control Panel > Mouse properties). Turns out there are TWO devices/apps: Dell Touchpad and Cypress Trackpad. Only the former shows up in Device mgr. (grr!!). And its gui DellTpad.exe won't launch even in admin mode. However, in C:\program files\Cypress\TrackPad\ there is a gui named DellDevices.exe which thank god finally worked. Turn on palm rejection, increase touch and tapping pressure needed, and voila - no more jumping keyboard cursor!  One dumb thing is that checking the box for icon to appear in system tray works, but clicking said icon is a bust - just opens device mgr, not the gui. Had to send a desktop shortcut directly from the .exe. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

November 25th, 2015 14:00

Alas! This sound advice is lost on XPS13 owners since we have no Cypress drivers....

3 Posts

November 25th, 2015 15:00

Any suggestions of a better place to post?

No Events found!