Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2010 06:00

USB 2.0 on an Inspiron 1100?

I'm working on an old Inspiron 1100. Running XP Pro. Device manager shows an Intel 82801DB USB 2.0 Enhanced host controller, but the root hub looks like it is not USB 2.0 capable.  I have all of the most recent drivers installed.  Should I be able to run USB 2.0 on this laptop?

Thanks!

-Rick

9 Posts

August 15th, 2010 07:00

Any USB device I plug in seems to run at 10 megabits per sec. max. Copying files to a USB thumb drive takes forever. An ATSC tuner stick hesitates very badly.  Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this? I have verified that all drivers are current and have temporarily shut down all nonessential processes.

Thanx!

-Rick

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Yes.The USB ports on that system are 2.0.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Make sure that when you installed Windows, you applied the Dell notebook system software and chipset driver AND at least Service Pack 1 if XP (you should actually use Service Pack 3).

Also ensure your USB cable is 2.0 (the aren't the same as 1.1) and that the devices have sufficient power (try a USB 2.0 hub) -- a device not receiving sufficient power can default to USB 1.1 speed.

9 Posts

August 16th, 2010 19:00

That fixed it!  Thank you!

The chipset driver was OK.   I reapplied it anyway.  The Dell downloads page said the notebook system software is optional, so I had skipped it.  I decided to download it, which was an absolutely maddening experience.  For some strange reason the website decided that I had to use download manager (which I had alreay installed), but it kept saying I had not selected any files.  Four hours and three computers later I was finally able to grab it.  Once I got it installed, all is working fine.  I was surprised at how much stuff was included in the system software file.

Thanks again for the help!

-Rick

November 2nd, 2010 21:00

Make sure that when you installed Windows, you applied the Dell notebook system software and chipset driver AND at least Service Pack 1 if XP (you should actually use Service Pack 3).

Also ensure your USB cable is 2.0 (the aren't the same as 1.1) and that the devices have sufficient power (try a USB 2.0 hub) -- a device not receiving sufficient power can default to USB 1.1 speed.

I've got the same problem, My problem has been solved with it.
No Events found!