Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

625 Posts

August 21st, 2006 17:00

USB Audio Help

I recently purchased a stereo system that has a USB input to use with computers. I took the cable that came with my modem and hooked up my 630m to the stereo system, but it's not working. Sound comes through, but it's very quiet. I've put it at the max volume on the computer and on the stereo system, but it's not loud at all. I probably couldn't hear it from 20 feet away. I know it's not the stereo, because the radio works fine, and also, I used a regular 1/8" audio cable to connect the computer to the stereo, and that works fine. I'd rather use USB because of the quality level, but if I can't hear it, there's no point in having better quality. Can anybody think of what the problem could be?

I'm using a JVC MX-GC5 stereo system, and a Dell Inspiron 630m with USB 2.0

Is it the modem cable? Am I just not supposed to use those with audio devices? I'll go out and buy another cable, but I want to be sure that's the problem first. I need a new cable no matter what, but I don't want to end up buy both a USB cable and a regular audio cable.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 21st, 2006 18:00

I don't exactly how this usb amp setup works, but anything usb is usually regarded as a 'device' that you have to select to use. So open the Audio Properties (right click on the volume icon on the taskbar, or go through the Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices). Select the 'Audio' tab. Under 'sound playback' and 'sound recording' there are dropdown boxes for selecting the default audio device. There will be a listing for Sigmatel. See if there is also one for a usb device or something of that nature, and select it. If no option for usb exists then my only other suggestion is to

check the volume. Open Audio Properties again(right click on the volume icon on the taskbar, or go through the Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices). Select the Audio tab. Click on 'Volume' under 'Sound Playback'. Also check the volume control of the audio apps or players you use.

If the shape of the plugs on your usb cable fits then I think the cable should work but don't take that to thbe bank.

Jim

625 Posts

August 24th, 2006 05:00

Well, I'm not sure what changed, but it works now.
No Events found!