Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2016 20:00

USB-C on Inspiron 13 7368 INCOMPATIBLE with USB-C on XPS

I bought online from DELL Hong Kong Inspiron 13 7368 (working well) ; DELL DA200 adapter USB-C to HDMI/VGA/Etehrnet/USB 3.0 and DELL Active Pen (order #810757967).

The laptop does not recognize the DA200 adapter with or without a driver.

The authorized services in China cannot help.

I tested the laptop's USB-C port with other adapters (to VGA, to RJ-45), and it works well. I tested the DA200 adapter on XPS-12 and XPS-13, and it also works well.

The sales assistants told me the DA200 is sold together with XPS-12.

The DA200 adapter is INCOMPATIBLE with Inspiron 7368.

Questions:

1. Is the USB-C on Inspiron 7368 not a real USB-C?

2. Can I use the USB-C on Inspiron 7368 for charging the laptop?

3. Why is the USB-C on the DA200 NOT COMPATIBLE with the USB-C on the Inspiron? How many variations of USB-C are out there? What should I take care when buying a USB-C adapter?

4. How can I return the accessories I bought and have a refund?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2016 08:00

It IS a USB C port, and happens to be USB 3.

It is NOT a Thunderbolt 3 port (which is what the XPS models have).

There are major differences:

www.cnet.com/.../

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 20th, 2016 09:00

USB-C is a connector type -- not an interface specification.  The XPS systems have full USB 3.1 support;  the Inspiron model has USB-C only - the specs do not mention a USB 3.1 controller.

That likely explains the incompatibility of a dock designed for a USB 3.1 spec and a lower-line model that has only USB-C --yep, the connectors are the same but the controller is very different on the lower end model.  The Inspirons are cheaper than the XPS systems for more reasons than the fact that there's more plastic and less metal in their construction.

Some of the differences are described here:

www.velocitymicro.com/.../

So:

1.  The USB-C on the Inspiron IS USB-C -- it's not USB 3.1, however.

2.  Yes, the USB-C can be used to charge the ssytem.

3.  See link above.

4.  In the US, you can usually return within 21 days of shipment minus a restocking charge.  You'll need to check with your local Dell office to see what the return policy is where you bought the parts.

20 Posts

August 20th, 2016 21:00

Thank you so much for the complete answer! Wish I had known it before buying.

OK, I understand it's not USB 3.1. But I want to connect the Inspiron to other devices

1. All USB-C adapters I've seen online are advertised for MacBook? Can I use them?
  2. Can I connect to external monitor's DisplayPort or HDMI via an adapter?
  3. Can I connect to Ethernet via USB-C - RJ45 adapter?

Your reply will save me from exhausting "trial-and-error" experience.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2016 04:00

1. Not necessarily.  Apple's implementation includes USB 3.1 (it can afford the added cost since it charges between 50-100% more for the same hardware in a PC!).

2.  As long as the cable is USB 3.0 compatible, that should work.

3.  Again, you need to consult the device maker - if  the connector doesn't require USB 3.1, it should also work.

20 Posts

August 21st, 2016 05:00

Thank you again for the reply.

Should I deduce from it that behind the USB-C connector on Inspiron 13 7368 is actually USB 3.0 and not USB 2.0 or something else? I am interested what kind of port I have. Where can I find the answer?

I ran Speccy. What does this mean:

Motherboard:

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 09PF4R (U3E1)
Version A00
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Skylake-U
Chipset Revision 08
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model ID9D48
Southbridge Revision 21
System Temperature 25 °C
 BIOS
  Brand Dell Inc.
  Version 01.04.00
  Date 7/6/2016
 PCI Data
   Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage In Use
    Data lanes x16
    Slot Designation J6B2
    Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
    Slot Number 0
   Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage In Use
    Data lanes x1
    Slot Designation J6B1
    Slot Number 1
   Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage In Use
    Data lanes x1
    Slot Designation J6D1
    Slot Number 2
   Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage In Use
    Data lanes x1
    Slot Designation J7B1
    Slot Number 3
   Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage In Use
    Data lanes x1
    Slot Designation J8B4
    Slot Number 4

1 Message

September 2nd, 2016 13:00

The Inspiron 13 7368 do not recognizes nor work with the DA 200 adaptor.  After getting a replacement of the DA 200 (did not work either) I returned it and bought in Amazon the Dell USB C adapter DBQBCBCO64 (I just wanted to connect to Ethernet) and this worked perfectly well.

Either Dell should fix the compatibility of the DA 200 with the Inspiron 13 7368 or they should stop offering as a compatible adapter...

So to your questions, the USB C port of the Inspiron works well but not with the DA 200 adapter.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2016 11:00

I ordered the same two devices - with the same result.  Dell support has spent over an hour trying to solve the problem, including sending me another DA200.  Still no success.  They are planning on spending more time with the new DA200, but I am skeptical.

In the meantime, I purchased a similar unit from Plugable.com.  The USB3-3900DHE Dual Head Graphics and Gigabit Ethernet Adapter connects to the USB 3 A port on the Dell and seems to work great.  It is substantially larger than the DA200 (3 3/4" square vs the DA200 at 2 1/4"), and you have to use the supplied adapter for VGA, but the computer recognizes it instantly and I have not had any problems yet.

20 Posts

September 5th, 2016 01:00

Thank you for your replies. ejn63 has already provided a very good explanation as to why AD200 will never work on Inspiron 13 7000 series: the adapter needs USB 3.1. ejn63 says "a dock designed for a USB 3.1 spec and a lower-line model that has only USB-C --yep, the connectors are the same but the controller is very different on the lower end model.  The Inspirons are cheaper than the XPS systems for more reasons than the fact that there's more plastic and less metal in their construction." 

The amazing part here is that THIS IS A SCAM! Hewlett Packard do the same tricks, so it must be a corporate policy of the big sharks in the US. Why is it a scam? Because the companies Dell and HP launch on the market products which their engineers know perfectly well will not work as they are supposed but do not tell the truth even to their technicians in the authorized services. They keep it a company secret. The Technical Service staff in the headquarters just ignore you if you ask why something would not work. So the company services around the world are embarrassed by their ignorance and inability to say why this thing does not work.

With the advancement of technology before buying a piece of hardware one should reach a nearly professional level to avoid these scams. One should know about the various versions of everything installed on their machine plus all peripherals, even the cables - A Google engineer recently found a scam with non-standard USB Type C cables that can easily burn your computer.

20 Posts

September 5th, 2016 02:00

By the way it is already one month since I started the procedure for returning the incompatible parts. Lots of emails, phone calls with DELL's customer service and I'm still nowhere in this jungle of "services". What's more is that I was advised by DELL that I'll get the money back ONE MONTH after returning the parts, which I hope to happen this year! By comparison I bought a HD monitor online, which I had to return. On the next day a rep came home to check the parts and I received the money back in just 2 days, so it took them only 3 days to finalize a return that will take DELL more than 2 months. Hopefully....

20 Posts

September 5th, 2016 02:00

I HAD to find a USB Type C to VGA adapter ASAP after finding out the issue with DA200. And I found USB-C to VGA and USB-C to Ethernet and USB 3.0 Type A adapters. The irony here is that the adapters which I bought were advertised as suitable for Apple's Mac book, which is known to have USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt. And ironically these adapters work perfectly with the Inspiron 13 7000  but their own DA200 adapter is compatible with only XPS series, which are double price compared to the cheaper models. Hmmm...

2 Posts

September 6th, 2016 07:00

Both of the following adapters work well with my Inspiron 7368, I bought them on Amazon. The DA200 was returned to Dell for credit and the process took about 2 weeks.

These are the titles for the products as found on Amazon.

Anker Premium USB-C Hub with HDMI and Power Delivery, 2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports, 1 HDMI Port, and 1 USB-C Input Charging Port with PD Specification, for the new MacBook 2016 and ChromeBook Pixel

Cable Matters USB-C to HDMI / VGA / Ethernet / USB Multiport 4K UHD Adapter (Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible)

6 Posts

December 8th, 2016 17:00

Use this one from Kensington:  Kensington SD1500 USB-C Mobile Docking Station with HDMI/VGA, USB 3.0 & Gigabit Ethernet (K33969WW)

www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

20 Posts

December 11th, 2016 08:00

Thank you, TamuFlyer for the suggestion. Looks great on the picture, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with my Inspiron 7368. The chip inside my laptop behind the USB Type C is neither USB 3.1, not Thunderbolt. It should be USB 3.0. I have bought separate adapters for VGA, Ethernet and USB 3.0 and they work well, although they are said to be designed for Apple (which HAS USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt). Fortunately they work well. No drivers, no hassle. Just plug.

No Events found!