Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2013 00:00

USB Data Card Not Recognised by Latitude E6430

Hi,

My Latitude laptop is facing an issue.It doesnt recognise when I insert my internet data cards (usb dongle/modem whatever you may call it) into it. It doesn't even show that a hardware has been inserted. All the software and drivers are installed. It used to work fine and now it stopped.

I used to be a fan of DELL and have purchased only DELL laptops since the last 10 years only for the excellent Technical Support Services. But I can't say the same. It's HORRIBLE NOW. Dell Technical Support big time now. I've been calling for two days all day long. My call just keeps getting transferred from one guy to the next.. No one seems to want to really solve the problem.I hate you DELL for giving me so much trouble and making big promises about such 'excellent technical support'. I can't connect to the internet now. And its really frustrating. I've spent nearly 8 hours on the phone line just speaking to one rep or the other. Sent Emails as well. My Father tried the same and spoke to another 10 reps. They waste 5 minutes taking down details, then another 10 minutes trying to find your service tag on their system, and then say 'I'm sorry we don't handle this problem, I'll transfer your call to the appropriate person'. I ask them, why don't they handle this probelm, they say 'we don't handle Latitude, that is another department'. And this is after the IVR system asks you 'if you have an Latitude, press 2' and so I press 2 and then these guys say they don't handle Latitude. And then I hold the line for 20 minutes before the call automatically gets disconnected. If nobody is qualified to handle this product, why did you make such a product anyways.

My laptop just doesn't recognise that the data card has been inserted. It recognises other things. Its certainly not a power issue cause it recognises other hardware which use up much more power. . Its also not a driver issue. All the drivers are updated. I can't figure it out. The data cards work on all other computers. Even on smaller and much less powerful laptops. But just not on my Latitude E6430.The laptop is barely a year old with a 3 year international warranty - but what use is all that if it can't even connect to the internet. 

Anjor

1.3K Posts

August 19th, 2013 01:00

Hi Anjor,

Sorry about the experience. Has the Data card worked before? Did you make any recent changes to the computer? Who is the Internet service provider? Have you tried on all the USB ports?

4 Posts

August 19th, 2013 01:00

Hi Harish, Thanks for the response. The data card (two of them actually), have been working before. They worked for nearly 9 months after I started using the laptop. But suddenly it stopped recognising them. I made no changes to the computer, nor did anyone else. Except for network and connections settings changes to get it to start working - but nothing worked. The data cards (one is a ZTE modem with an Aircel sim card, and the other is an MTS modem and sim) work on all other laptops. They work on my partner's laptop as well as on all my family members' laptops - all DELL as well.

The laptop is also facing trouble connecting to Wireless Internet through the wifi. It recognises some connections, but doesn't recognise others. It recognises the wifi in my office, but doesn't recognise the one in my home. All other computers recognise them. Sometimes, the computer doesn't even show the wireless adapter in the network and sharing centre. Sometimes, on turning the wifi button on and off, there is no response. The wifi light also doesn't switch on.

I have tried the DELL System Detect to check for hardware and software problems. I have ensured that all USB drivers are updated. The Softwares for the Data Cards and downloaded and updated. But when you insert the Data Card, the software says 'no device'.. And My Computer, doesn't show any new hardware being installed.

Right now the wifi is working in office which is why I am able to send this. Yesterday it was not. I bought DELL only because of the wonderful experiences I had had with the technical support earlier. Earlier when I used to have a problem, tech support guy would come home immediately and either repair or replace the part. Now I'm not even able to get through to anyone on the phone for days, forget about someone coming to assist. It's really disappointing.

1.3K Posts

August 20th, 2013 03:00

Hi Anjor,

Please perform a system restore to a date on which the data card was working. If the issue continues, please flash the latest BIOS from Dell site and also install the latest chipset drivers.

Please click on the below link to download the drivers and BIOS update. (Key in the service tag and appropriate operating system for driver selection)

http://dell.to/19FxTO5

No Events found!