Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2016 13:00

USB disks/drives inaccesible due to Driver issue

Few days ago when I was trying to access one of my USB flash disks, it wasn't visible in the Explorer but, heard the sound of detection of the device by windows. Checked Device manager and saw the "Yellow sign with exclamation" on the device under "Disk drives". Under properties, it says that Windows can not load the driver.

Tried the same USB disks on other PC, works fine!

Tried the registry edit method of removing "Upper" or "LowerFilters", Uninstalling USB controllers & device, other popular methods mentioned on internet, no luck..

Booted in to Safe mode with the USB disk plugged in, Windows detects it & is accessible for the first time. 

If I eject & re-insert it, dosen't work as usual. 

I've tried other USB disks & Portables hard disks, the same problem. But, other USB devices like Mouse, Gamepad works fine. Only issue with USB flash disks/Pen drives!! Have also tried on other Ports 2.0/3.0..

I don't want to do a clean install. Recently got the Anniversary Update v1607, don't know if there's any connection to this.

Any solution to this??

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 20th, 2016 00:00

Hi computechnopro,

I’d suggest that you update BIOS and Chipset driver on your computer to check for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and chipset from chipset section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would suggest you to run the test on USB ports on the system.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/14YjKb2

2.       Select ‘Diagnostics’ tab and select ‘Choose a diagnostic test’ tab.

3.       Select ‘USB’.

4.       Click on ‘Test Seclected Devices’ button.

5.       Let me know if the results.

Please let me know if this helps.

September 21st, 2016 09:00

Here's the Full diagnostics result..
1 USB disk is connected to USB 2.0 port & another in to USB 3.0 port.

No Events found!