Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2012 05:00

USB power surge / USB error

I'm using Dell n7110, Win 7 Recently I bought usb fan (small one, not the pad) and it worked good for few days, then I started to get this message: Power Surge in hub port A USB device has exceeded the power limits of it's hub port. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message. I've read lots of posts about this but can't find the solution. I have 3 usb ports, now only one of them works. I can't have 2 usb cables or anything plugged in at once. Help! :((

:emotion-6:

105 Posts

July 8th, 2012 10:00

Hi Tinna,

Welcome to Dell community,

Your system has 4 connectors, 1 Left connector (e SATA/USB); 3 Right Connectors (2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0)

If the USB 3.0 connectors (these are blue in color and little bigger than the USB 2.0 port) are not working, you can try to download the drivers for the same from the following link:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Also, you can try flashing the BIOS as well.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Let me know your findings. Glad to be of assistance.

DELL-Ravi M

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 8th, 2012 07:00

Go into the device manager and delete all the entries for USB devices.  Then restart the system (they'll be redetected).  That should clear the error - but if it comes back with the same fan, have that replaced under warranty.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 8th, 2012 11:00

It shouldn't -- it sounds like the fan you purchased is faulty.

9 Posts

July 8th, 2012 11:00

That solved my problem, but when I plug the fan back in, everything repeats again, it stops working and when I install the driver again, it starts to work.

I was thinking about buying a laptop cooler but now I'm not sure about it, can the same thing happen with the cooler pad?

9 Posts

July 8th, 2012 14:00

Good to hear that, hope there won't be any problems with it.

Thank you so much for helping!  :)

No Events found!