Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 6th, 2014 05:00

USB's: Power but not Working...

Greetings Community,

This is my first post here and I would greatly appreciate your support.

Dell Precision M4700
Windows 7

So I turned my laptop on from hibernate this morning to find alert message "Power surge on hub port". Shortly after I found that the two USB SS ports on the right hand side were not functioning (2 on the left work fine). Next I connected my Dell to it's docking station and found that the two usb ports at the back of the station are not working (3 on the left of the docking station work fine).

Bare in mind my laptop was hibernating overnight (not plugged into the mains) and the only usb connected was a portable hard drive, which was connected to the ports on the left (which remain functional).

The USB ports that are not working are still kicking out power as I can feel the disk spinning on my HD when I connect it. Also the light on my USB mouse flickers on when I connect/disconnect it, but the computer doesn't recognise anything.

What I've tried:
1) Device Manager: Reinstalled all Universal Serial Bus drivers.
2) Running microsoft diagnostics.

It's all very strange, the error message would suggest something had blown overnight, but nothing was connected. Further my docking station was absolutely not connected to either the mains or my laptop...

I'd be really grateful for some help on this one,

Blessings, J :)

5 Posts

January 6th, 2014 08:00

[FIXED]

One should of course never trust windows device manager to update/reinstall drivers to their latest version.

I went to the manufacturer's website (in my case Dell) and got the latest driver installer directly from them. Installed - Now everything works as expected.

Yippee.

No Events found!