Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 7th, 2009 11:00

USB to Serial Adaptor Vostro 1510 laptop

I have a Vostro 1510 laptop. Only had it about two weeks.  I bought XP Pro because applications at work I had to run.

I need a USB to serial adaptor to work on com1 or com2 for proprietary work software. I hav tried two manufacturers (Belkin and Sabrent) neither work. The belkin never seems to finish installing  but the control panel says it is there and working. The Sabrent has a less involved install process and seems to install OK but does not work either. I am pretty sure there is a setting wrong on this thing but have no idea where to start looking.

I did not see any conflicts in the IRQs when I looked in device manager. What else should I try? Belkin has been totally unresponsive to my tech support request. I have not asked sabrent.

Thanks for the help

** Update **

Put a Prolific name brand on a different USB port (on other side of the machine which is the right side) and it works. The belkin does not work on the same port and the Prolific will not work if I put it on the left side of the laptop. I know the ports on the left side are good because they work with my jump drive, usb mouse, and usb keyboard.

I am happy I have a solution. I wish I understood the solution but for now I will take it and run with it. Thanks for the help!

1.6K Posts

January 7th, 2009 11:00

First verify that a USB converter will work with the software you want to use - most often, they do not.

You're  better off installing an Express Card with a true RS-232C serial port on it.

January 7th, 2009 12:00

Thank you for the quick response. The Sabrent USB adapter worked with the Dell laptop I am replacing. I did not do the configuration on that one it was here when I started.

I had not thought of an express card that is an option.

January 7th, 2009 13:00

Hi,

I am very happy with my FTDI based USB-Serial converter (Vostro 1500). Drivers are even available via Windows Update :)

If you look for an Express Card adapter, make sure it has an UART. Otherwise it's nothing else than an USB adapter in disguise.

Michael

January 7th, 2009 13:00

Hi,

What com port does it reside on?

Do you know who the manufacturer is (the chip set is FTDI but who sold the adapter)?

I was finding that the Expres card ones were mostly glorified USB adapters.

Thanks

No Events found!