Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2017 00:00

Unable to boot from disk drive

I am trying to install Ubuntu as a dual boot on my Inspiron 15 5000 5567. In BIOS I:

• Disabled Secure Boot
  • Enabled Legacy Option
  • Changed Boot Sequence yo Legacy
  • restarted my laptop and changed the boot sequence so that boot from disk drive was first.

When I rebooted, with or without a DVD in the disk drive, I got the error message:

PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM:

No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine.

At this stage the machine just kept recycling and returning to the same error massage. The only way to stop it was to get back into BIOS and reset boot options to the initial settings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 30th, 2017 01:00

Who is telling you to disable secure boot and enable legacy when using Ubuntu?

3 Posts

March 30th, 2017 02:00

Installation notes with the Ubuntu iso file said to burn the file to a DVD and to reboot the laptop. In order to get the disk drive at the top of the boot sequence list I needed to reconfigure BIOS. One of the steps to  reconfigure BIOS is to disable secure boot. The iso file for Ubuntu partitions the hard drive and sets up Windows 10 and Ubuntu as a dual boot. I am using BIOS 1.1.1.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 30th, 2017 04:00

You need a version of Ubuntu that supports UEFI/GPT.  If you install in legacy mode without also reinstalling Windows in the same fashion, Windows will not load -- you cannot change from UEFI/GPT to Legacy/MBR without reinstalling Windows.

9 Posts

March 30th, 2017 07:00

Yes, you have to install it in UEFI mode.

Without formatting the EFI partition!

I'm running Fedora 25 in the same notebook with secure boot enabled.

Boots perfectly ...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 30th, 2017 07:00

Ubuntu will install fine using UEFI and Secure Boot.  Since you appear to have installed it as Legacy, it may have done some strange things to your drive.  One would be to put a small partition to use as a Boot partition.  The second might be how you had GRUB configure itself.

To boot Windows, you would need to be using UEFI, assuming GRUB isn't allowing that now.  The Windows install may not like the extra boot partition being present, if you have one.

I am certainly not a Linux expert but you may be able to find some info on the Ubuntu site.  Booting your system as UEFI using the Windows Boot Manager may allow you to boot, or might even give you recovery options.  During boot, an F12 key should bring up a boot device menu.  It is normally used to boot temporary devices, such as Optical drives, but if you show a Windows Boot Manager, try that.

3 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 03:00

The difficulty I have is getting boot from disk to work. I have not tried to install Linux since I have been unable to get boot from disk to work - I get the error message that there is not a disk in the drive when I know that there is one there.

Thanks

Bobsbees

No Events found!