Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2013 01:00

Unable to change brightness in XPS 15(L521X)

Hello,

I have recently noticed that I am unable to change brightness with fn + up/down keys, as well from display settings, or windows mobility center.

The value changes but the display is struck at certain brightness.i.e no effect if i make it 0 or 100.

I have tried updating the latest intel video driver as well nvidia driver from the vendors website, but no avail.

Though i can change brightness during the bios laod, but as soon as the windows logo comes, the brightness get sets to a certain value and i cant change it thereafter.

I think this problem arrived after windows automatic updated HD 4000 driver, now I have disabled windows update.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 28th, 2013 14:00

Allan,

Limited with my posting for the next few days.

Can  you find the Video drivers for Rah21, that may solve the problem. I saw this issue recently and installing the Video drivers made the controls work.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 29th, 2013 09:00

Hello Rah21,

As Rick suggested, please try performing a clean re-installation of the video drivers. That is, uninstalling and re-installing the video drivers. If not, please follow the steps:

• Open Device Manager (Start -- Control Panel -- Device Manager).
  • Expand the tab for Display Adapters and right click the Intel HD 4000.
  • From the drop down menu, select “Uninstall”. 
  • Ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”. 
  • Restart the computer. 
  • Once the drivers are unistalled, re-install the latest drivers from here
  • Restart the computer and check the functionality.

Hope this helps!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 17th, 2013 03:00

Hello Rah21,

I would suggest updating the Quick-set to the latest version, which might help us in fixing the issue. Please try the following steps:

• Uninstall the existing quickset drivers from program and features (Start - Control Panel - Program and Features).
  • Restart the computer.
  • To download the latest version of quick-set click here.
  • Download and Install the Quick-set for the system.
  • Restart the computer and check the functionality.

Please write back for further queries.

6 Posts

July 17th, 2013 11:00

I have windows 8 64 bit. This is second 2nd version L521x.

Should I install download and install quickset update for windows 8?

www.dell.com/.../xps-15-l521x

2.4K Posts

July 17th, 2013 12:00

Yes install Quickset

6 Posts

July 18th, 2013 06:00

Hello,

I have downloaded and updated quickset.

Still brightness is not working.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hello Rah21,

In this case, I would suggest uninstalling the Quickset, create a new user account (please ensure to create an admin account) and try re-installing the Quickset through the new user account. Restart the computer and check the functionality.  
Hope this helps!

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 12:00

Hello,

I tried uninstalling quickset.

Creating new admin account.

Installing quickset from new account.

Restarted laptop.

Tested functionality in new account.

Still no change in brightness.

I though noted 1 thing, before extracting quickset, it says its for L421x.

I have attached screenshot.  I downloaded from here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15-l521x?driverId=PXXDY&osCode=W864&fileId=3126519814&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AP

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hello Rah21,

I would request you to try performing a system restore and check if that works. To restore the system to an earlier date/time, please refer to the following articles: 

I would also like to say that the version of Quick-set you are trying to install is the right one. It is for both XPS L421X and XPS L521X. 

Hope this helps! 

6 Posts

July 28th, 2013 10:00

I have restored to the earliest restore point of june 22, but still i m unable to change brightness.

6 Posts

August 5th, 2013 10:00

Hi Alan & Rick,

Yes, that solved the problem.

I am able to change brightness now.

But I actually had newer version of HD4000 driver installed via window update.

So the newer HD4000 causing the issue?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 6th, 2013 07:00

Hello Rah21,

Glad to be of help! Please reach out to us if you need any further assistance.

April 27th, 2014 11:00

Thank you; your suggestion also resolved a similar problem on my laptop; however, system update overwrote these drivers and recreated the brightness problem. Is this something I will have to live with as long as I have the laptop, or is there a more permanent solution. Thank you. Other than this, and the birthing pains associated with 8.x this is a greater laptop.

1 Message

May 11th, 2014 12:00

Same problem,  the problem started with windows 8.1 installing and new HD4000 driver update. How to install older ones back and how to prevent windows from updating them? Or is there a new update coming which fixes this?

1 Message

June 22nd, 2014 19:00

Hello, 

I have a similar problem with adjusting brightness on a XPS L521X I bought last August. I am using Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.  I press Fn+F5 key but nothing happens to brightness.

My display adapters are currently:  NVidia GeForce GT 640M and Intell(R)HD Graphics 4000 driver version 8.15.10.2778 driver date 6/6/2012

Please help! 

No Events found!