Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2017 07:00

Unable to get Dell WD15 dock to work with ASUS laptop

Greetings,

Have a new WD15 Thunderbolt dock I am trying to get to work with two monitors connected to an ASUS GL552VW laptop. USBs, ethernet and audio that is connected to dock all work fine. But the VGA and HDMI monitors connected do not. The HDMI monitor works fine when I directly connect it to the laptop, but not when I connect it through the dock.

I have tried the troubleshooting tips in this:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln296829/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-dell-dock-wd15?lang=en

I have installed the ASMedia Host Controller from here, twice for good measure:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-dock-wd15/drivers?os=wt64a

ASUS support refuses to help me. I'm working on seeing if I can do the BIOS update.

Any advice? Will this not work with a non Dell laptop?

Thank you very much, quite frustrated.

- Dan

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 10th, 2017 13:00

I was right.  Here's an ASUS forum page where someone asked this question about your model.  Post #5 contains a reply from ASUS indicating that its USB-C port does not support display output: rog.asus.com/.../showthread.php

• 

16.7K Posts

August 10th, 2017 10:00

dlaird75,

You can click the link below to download the online manual for the Dell WD 15 Dock. Also, review the Type C cable needed for the displays.

Dell WD15 Dock Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 10th, 2017 12:00

First, the WD15 dock is USB-C, not Thunderbolt.  The Thunderbolt Dock is the TB16, and those are not interchangeable.  But if everything except the display outputs is working, it's probably because your ASUS model does not have a GPU output wired to its USB-C connector, in which case there's nothing that any dock or adapter can do to fix that. That design choice is allowed by the USB-C spec (not sure about Thunderbolt, but your system doesn't have that), and looking over the system specs, they only mention USB 3.1 for the Type-C port, with nothing about it supporting DisplayPort Alt Mode.  USB-C does NOT carry display signals as USB traffic.

4 Posts

I have looked at all the docs on this page. There is no manual, only quick start guides and the one troubleshooting guide, which I have gone through.

4 Posts

I have already watched this video. There is no manual that I can find, there are a couple quick start guides that I have already gone through. There is a section on troubleshooting video, but I have gone through all those steps to no avail.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2017 13:00

Wow, that's a huge disappointment! I might have to return this, my Latitude E6450 and dock had two monitors hooked up and worked great. That's what I'm used to for workflow.

Thank you very much for finding this for me, I really appreciate your sleuthing. I tried to find a ASUS forum to no avail.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 11th, 2017 08:00

Yeah, that is a huge bummer.  I'm really surprised too because there's only one other display connector on the system (HDMI) and that system's GPU can probably support at least 4 outputs, so even counting the internal display, I can't see why they wouldn't have routed an output to the USB-C connector. If the output you had were DisplayPort rather than HDMI you could even have used an MST hub to drive multiple displays through that single port (or daisy chaining if your displays supported it), but HDMI doesn't allow that.

Can that laptop even charge itself over USB-C?  I'm guessing it doesn't because gaming laptops tend to require a lot of power, and although the WD15 can supply up to 130W to Dell systems, it's capped at 60W for non-Dell systems.  I'm not sure why that is because there is a 100W option in the official USB Power Delivery spec, but that's how it is.  But if you can't use the WD15 for video output or charging, then I agree it doesn't make much sense to keep it because at that point it's basically a very expensive USB hub with Ethernet and audio output built in. Sorry! :(

No Events found!