Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2015 14:00

Unknown Device Driver Latitude E5540

I have been running in to an issue lately with a Latitude E5540 laptop. 

The specs are:

Intel i5 cpu @ 1.9 ghz

4 gb RAM

x32 Windows 7

In my device manager it says that I have an unknown device and there is the warning symbol next to it. When I go to update the drivers it says that it can't find any drivers (I am connected to the Internet). I looked at the hardware ID and noticed that it was APCI\SMO8810, I then proceeded to research the driver, which I found was the ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor Driver. I also know what it's primary function is. 

The issue I keep running in to is that I have uninstalled the driver, and tried to re-install the driver from the Dell downloads. However halfway through the process the install wizard tells me that the most recently updated driver from dells site is older than the driver I currently have installed. (even though it says there is no driver installed)

Help? Let me know if you need more details.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

January 16th, 2015 11:00

Hi Tjt234,

Thanks for the post! Try using the link below to update that freefall sensor driver. This link is direct from our FTP site. If the driver gives you the same error in installation I would suggest right clicking / uninstalling the currently listed bang in the device manager then running this download again.

You can also attempt to manually install the driver if this fails. Addictivetips.com has a great walkthrough HERE for manually installing drivers if needed.

ST Microelectronics Free Fall Data Protection Driver 4.10.51

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01897928M/1/Chipset_Driver_9RRX6_WN_4.10.0051_A03.EXE

Another tool for updating that driver would be the Dell Command update utility. This can be downloaded from the link below and should update all dell drivers on your system automatically.

Dell Command | Update

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02323487M/1/Systems-Management_Application_H2CN6_WN_2.0.0_A00.EXE

Thanks,

October 3rd, 2017 07:00

This worked for me. I can't stand the dreaded "unknown device"

No Events found!