borgward1
2 Iron

Upgrade Inspiron 1520

Jump to solution

What is the fastest CPU I can install in my Inspiron 1520. Will I need to upgrade the bios to accommodate it? It is currently running Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  T2370  @ 1.73GHz.

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
borgward1
2 Iron

RE: Upgrade Inspiron 1520

Jump to solution

I am running Mint 18 Cinnamon. The 1520 presently has:

Pentium dual core T2370 1.73GHz

2GB RAM 667MHz

onboard video.

Plan to upgrade:

Intel 800 MHz bus Core 2 Duo - T9500

4GB RAM 800 MHz

Dell-Inspiron-1520-Laptop-0YY634-128-MB-NVIDIA-Video-Card-amp-Heatsink-R1L11

Any comments?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The CPU and memory upgrades are supported.  Assuming you plan to change the mainboard as well (to one with an nVidia GPU aboard) you'll need that heatsink.

If you're not planning to change the mainboard, you can skip the heatsink  upgrade - that heatsink won't fit the version of the mainboard that has an onboard Intel GPU.

If you do upgrade the mainboard to nVidia, be sure you check your power adapter - it's probably 65W, and you'll need 90W or better to run the nVidia version of the mainboard.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

There is no video card, nor any socket for one.  There are different boards depending on whether you have Integrated-only (which is what it sounds like) or nVidia graphics (in which case the GPU is a separate chip soldered to the mainboard).

There is no way to upgrade the integrated version to the nVidia version without replacing the mainboard (in which case you will need that heatsink assembly -- the Intel heatsink won't fit the nVIdia board and vice-versa).

There may be solder points for the nVidia GPU on the integrated board, but there is no separate video card or socket for one.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Needs an 800 MHz bus Core 2 Duo - T9500 is the fastest one.  Only 800 MHz bus CPUs max - not the 1066 from the later generation.

No:  Core i3, i5, i7, or any of the associated Pentium dual core or Celeron CPUs.

0 Kudos
borgward1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I am running Mint 18 Cinnamon. The 1520 presently has:

Pentium dual core T2370 1.73GHz

2GB RAM 667MHz

onboard video.

Plan to upgrade:

Intel 800 MHz bus Core 2 Duo - T9500

4GB RAM 800 MHz

Dell-Inspiron-1520-Laptop-0YY634-128-MB-NVIDIA-Video-Card-amp-Heatsink-R1L11

Any comments?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The CPU and memory upgrades are supported.  Assuming you plan to change the mainboard as well (to one with an nVidia GPU aboard) you'll need that heatsink.

If you're not planning to change the mainboard, you can skip the heatsink  upgrade - that heatsink won't fit the version of the mainboard that has an onboard Intel GPU.

If you do upgrade the mainboard to nVidia, be sure you check your power adapter - it's probably 65W, and you'll need 90W or better to run the nVidia version of the mainboard.

0 Kudos
borgward1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

The present mobo has a socket for the -NVIDIA-Video-Card, but won't acomodate the heatsink for it?

I am pretty sure I saw the socket  for the video card last time I had it apart.  How to positively ID the mobo w/out disassembly?

Perhaps just upgrading the CPU and RAM will keep me up with web content for the near future?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

There is no video card, nor any socket for one.  There are different boards depending on whether you have Integrated-only (which is what it sounds like) or nVidia graphics (in which case the GPU is a separate chip soldered to the mainboard).

There is no way to upgrade the integrated version to the nVidia version without replacing the mainboard (in which case you will need that heatsink assembly -- the Intel heatsink won't fit the nVIdia board and vice-versa).

There may be solder points for the nVidia GPU on the integrated board, but there is no separate video card or socket for one.

0 Kudos
borgward1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Looks like you are right.

$ sudo dmidecode -t 2

[sudo] password for abc:

# dmidecode 3.0

Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.

SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Handle 0x0200, DMI type 2, 9 bytes

Base Board Information

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Product Name: 0KY767

Version:    

Serial Number: .GNQ51G1.CN486438470912.

Asset Tag:          

I looked up pictures of my 0KY767 mobo and of the other board. There is definitely no socket for the Invidia card on mine.

Thanks for the heads up about the video upgrade.

Won't replace the mobo unless I find one at bargain basement prices. Hopefully a CPU and RAM upgrade will keep me in the game for a while.

0 Kudos
borgward1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I upgraded to 4 GB RAM. That helped a lot. Anytime I run YouTube on Firefox  the T2370 CPU maxes out to 100%. I procured a 90 Watt power Adapter for free, so will upgrade to Intel 800 MHz bus Core 2 Duo - T9500.

Upgrade to the Nvidia does not seem feasible unless I find one really cheap. They are in the $100 range. I was told that I would have to remove the graphic chip from my present mobo and install it on the mobo that has the Nvidia as a "daughter". Is that correct? How is that done? Does that involve soldering?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

It is not possible to move the GPU - you either buy a board with the Intel GPU or nVidia GPU aboard. One version cannot be upgraded to the other.

0 Kudos
borgward1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I understand that you either have a board w/ Intel or nvidial. That was not my question.

You are telling me That if I get the mobo w/Nvidia, there is nothing else to do, except add the heat sink?

About the heat sink, What are all the electronics on it? See:

www.ebay.com/.../291993119516

I located the mobo w/Nvidia:

www.ebay.com/.../291993119516

"Dell OEM Motherboard (systemboard / mainboard) for the Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Discrete Graphics. The Discrete Graphics motherboards require a daughter video graphics card"

"This Inspiron 1520 Motherboard does not include the video card - Video card must be transferred from your original motherboard"

0 Kudos