Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2014 12:00

Upgrade for Inprision 1440

Hello Helper,

I'm using a Inprision 1440. Now I'd like to upgrade the ram of my laptop. Could you please give my some advice that I can choose for my laptop? It's OK if I get a DDR3 or  a same one to run in Dual Chanel Ram (in that case can I install winx64?). It's better if I have a list of hardwares what I can upgrade to my laptop. Bellow is the config of my laptop.

CPU: Inprision 1440 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU   P7450  @ 2.13GHz

RAM: DDR2  2Ghz PC2-6400 (400 MHz)

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in advance

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 26th, 2014 12:00

You cannot use DDR-3 -- it won't even fit into the sockets on the board (it's not compatible with DDR-2).

You can upgrade to as much as 8G of DDR-2 memory -- but bear in mind the memory is more expensive than DDR-3 and that it's dead-end -- no new system uses DDR-2 and hasn't for quite a while).

You need a 64-bit OS to use more than 8G of RAM, but XP64 is a particularly poor choice, since it was never widely supported with drivers (and 32-bit XP drivers won't work) and is an end of life OS now (No further security updates).

You could install a larger hard drive or a solid state drive - the latter being the single best hardware upgrade you can do.

The video is not upgradeable - and CPU upgrades make little sense (you already have one of the faster Core 2 Duo CPUs now).

Basically, the SSD is the only upgrade that makes much sense (though if you are still running XP, you should be upgrading that soon as well, for security reasons as above).

3 Posts

July 26th, 2014 17:00

Hello enj63, Can I take advantage of the mode Dual Chanel Ram with 2 rams DDR-2. Is it supported? I've heard that we can run OS 64 bit with this mode. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 26th, 2014 18:00

You can run dual-channel RAM, yes.  It's not required for a 64 bit OS - all that's required is a 64-bit CPU, which you do have.

3 Posts

July 26th, 2014 19:00

Luckily, the CPU has 64bit-capable. I decide to add one more RAM and maybe also a SSD hard drive as well.

Thanks for quick reply and your support

No Events found!