Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2009 01:00

Upgraded to windows 7: built in mic doesn't work

Hello,

I have a dell XPS M1530 laptop and have recently upgraded to windows 7. Unfortunately I discovered today that the built in mic no longer seems to work. Is anyone else having this problem? If so has any1 found a solution? If more specs are needed I would be happy to provide them, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 Message

October 29th, 2009 00:00

Hi,

I just recently upgraded my m1530 to windows 7 and I also found out i have the same issue when tried to use Skype.  I went to the sound device manager and checked to see if everything was working properly and the mic was not muted.  I went to google and tried to find a solution for the problem and it seems that there are other users are facing the same issue.  It seems that the default windows 7 drivers don't handle built in laptop microphones well.  I'm also still searching for a way to resolve this issue.

10 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 14:00

Yes. I am having the same problem with my Dell XPS M1530 and still trying to figure out a solution. Do let me know what you find. I have read that you may need to install the windows vista drivers in order for some hardware to work but I do not know how feasible this ans. is.

Shermonno1

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 09:00

It happened to me too. The solution is very easy though. Just INSTALL WINDOWS VISTA SOUND DRIVERS available at you Dell support pages. I did it and now it's working as a charm. Even the enhancements for the mic is working too.

By the way, I got a M1530 with Windows 7 64-bits installed (so I got the Vista 64 drivers).

10 Posts

November 5th, 2009 13:00

This is a bit strange because I have a XPS M1530 with a 32 bit OS so I installed the Vista 32 bit drivers and still nothing. I have also tried removing the drivers and reinstalling them again and sometimes get the message "There is no file to install". Nothing still....

Any ideas?

Shermonno1

10 Posts

November 7th, 2009 16:00

So I figured it out finally. Went to Control Panel then Devices manager.

Click on the Sound, video and game controllers option

then right click on the tab that opens below and select the current driver and then select uninstall.

Go to Dell drivers and downloads page and find your system type and operating system.(In this case it should be Windows Vista OS either 32 or 64 bit depending on your system since there is no option for Windows 7.)

Select audio and then select Sigmatel -Driver.  This should take you to a download page and then download this driver (preferably in Explorer). Then install this driver by following the procedures then immediately reboot when prompted.

It should work after this…Hope this helps.

11 Posts

November 7th, 2009 18:00

I have the same problem with my xps m1530. the built in mic doesnt work on windows 7 64x. I tried installing the vista 64x drivers but I get this error on the install:

ExitError:Error=Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again.

I tried running in vista mode, still no luck. any help?

10 Posts

November 7th, 2009 20:00

Try following the same instuctions I suggested in the prior response but only doing it for the Vista drivers for sigmatel. REMEMBER, you must UNINSTALL the drivers you have there before you install the new one.

Control panel/ devices manager/ sound, video and game controllers and then uninstall...then follow the remaining instructions.

Good luck.

11 Posts

even after uninstalling the audio drivers from device manager i still get that error message when trying to install the sigmatel dell drivers.

11 Posts

Every time I uninstall the drivers, windows 7 prompts me to reboot. Upon reboot it automatically installs its own default drivers!! How do you stop it from installing default drivers?

10 Posts

November 8th, 2009 07:00

Ignore the prompt that ask you to reboot after you uninstall your previous drivers then in install the new drivers in internet explorer. They would ask two options on how you want to install the drivers...

The first is Download via Dell Driver Download Manager

or

Download via your Internet Browser (SELECT THIS ONE)

If you select the first you will continue to get that error message.

When you select the download through your internet browser it should work fine to download and install and THEN reboot.

Good luck.

11 Posts

November 8th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for your help, but I did this exact method several times and I always get this error on the installation:

ExitError:Error=Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again.

Don't know why!

10 Posts

November 9th, 2009 06:00

The only thing I can think about okhandan is that you are not selecting the download through windows option when asked. I was getting this same error message and then selected the 2nd option and it worked fine. Try the same method with firefox (if you have it). I used IE and everything worked fine.

Good luck.

What are your specs?

11 Posts

November 9th, 2009 09:00

Just tried it with IE your method (I was already using that download option). Same error. That means it doesnt work with IE or Firefox (shouldn't make a difference).

I've got an XPS m1530 running Windows 7 Pro x64.

10 Posts

November 9th, 2009 10:00

I have an XPS M1530 running windows 7 Pro x32. Did all this and everything worked fine. Not too sure why yours does not respond...

1 Message

November 22nd, 2009 19:00

I've been able to get the Sigmatel driver to install, but my mic is giving me a LOT of feedback.

Any suggestions?

No Events found!