Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2013 12:00

Upgrading my inspiron 1545 with an ssd

Hello,
desire to upgrade my inspiron 1545 with the installation of an ssd.
Information sought here in Brazil and it still fails, then someone could direct me to one ssd compatible with the hardware.
Another question I have: Installing this ssd, I will have to uninstall the existing hdd or internal space comprises both operating simultaneously?
Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

January 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi Alfeu,

Welcome to the Community.

Please refer to the thread mentioned below which may help you with the information:

http://dell.to/WeH64A

Existing hard drive has to be removed.

Hope it helps. 

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

October 21st, 2013 09:00

olá Alfeu,

I also have a 1545.  I tried using a SanDisk 120 which was VERY fast on my old Dell E5550.  The issue I am facing is the BIOS does not even pick up the drive.  The BIOS was already set to AHCI.  From what I have been able to read, the SSD's need to be reseated, (removed and reinstalled), to work correctly.  I can hardly wait to go home to try it again :emotion-11:

October 21st, 2013 16:00

I am getting the same issue. What BIOS version are you one? I want to update the firmware on the SSD but I can't get the BIOS to detect the SSD and I cannot update the BIOS because currently my laptop does not have a battery. Any ideas as I have tried reseating the SSD but it is still very loose fitting.

Thanks,
Greg

October 22nd, 2013 09:00

Yes, you are correct. I hooked the SSD up with a USB cable and migrated the data and then got to tinkering with it again for fitment. With the hdd caddy on it, i found i needed to almost push it back towards the top of the laptop while pushing it in to get it to connect correctly. As you said, it is too thin so it does not get connected correctly if you just push it in like the regular hdd would. But it is all hooked up and working fine. If i would have known it was going to make this much of an improvement, i would not have ordered the new processor for the computer as well. Very pleased and will be putting a SSD in every one of my computers.

5 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 09:00

All,

OK, here is why it did not work for me.  The San Disk is VERY thin.  My friend got it to work by pressing it down towards the end of it which forced the connector to be up more by the connector. It scraped but it connected.  When I get home tonight, I will update the San Disk's firmware.  I should have him do a YouTube video about it.  It works like a champ!!!

5 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 12:00

DUOOFDEATH1,

Thank you for  the kind words.

I agree that  you will most likely have not needed a new processor.  I was watching on YouTube how to "properly" clean the fan on these models where you have to remove the processor and put it back.  

My SSD drive came out of an old E5550, 32 bit with 4 GB of RAM.  This newer 1545 is 64 bit and can run up to 8 GB of RAM.  I may keep my old 32 bit Win 7 until I am ready to upgrade the RAM.  

I use SSD on everything except my Ubuntu Server which is my mother board will not recognize AHCI which is fine as it was in a pre built kit from Tiger Direct.

Good Luck,

JDL

October 22nd, 2013 12:00

I will have to make sure to clean the fan on my laptop as well when i replace the cpu. I am currently running a Core2 Duo 2.1 and got a Core2 Duo 2.8GHz off ebay for like $40 and that was cheaper than putting more memory in it. I have not been able to figure out why 4gb sticks for this laptop are so expensive. I have 2x 2gb sticks right now so i would be replacing both with 4gb sticks and i am looking at like $190 and that is just generic memory.

5 Posts

October 24th, 2013 06:00

That's a tough call as the unit with SSD drive is fairly quick.  As I said, I am leaving the Win 7 32 bit on there as I do not wish to put on Win 7 64 bit until I have memory to support it.

I would wait until after Christmas when the sellers are DESPERATE to clear their old inventory.  Plus, that unit was really designed as more of a personal unit vs. business as it has no ports for a dock.  

I prefer Linux but run iTunes and Outlook on it.  I will put Zorin OS with an older slower platter disk into my "old" E5550 and give it to my kids.  They just surfs the web for kids games.  This way they can go nutz with out getting any viruses.

Rock On!,

JDL

No Events found!