Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2012 01:00

Usb 3.0 not working?

I own a Dell inspiron 17r n7110 and it has 3 usb ports. One usb 2.0 and two usb 3.0. My Ziebal 60 keyboard requires 2 usb ports to operate at highest performance and it provides two usb 2.0 ports when it is plugged in. For some reason whenever I plug the keyboard into my two 3.0 ports it does not get any power at all, or register. For that matter I can't get any usb 2.0 device to work in a 3.0 port. Is this a limitation of usb 3.0, an issue with my keyboard, or am I supposed to do something to turn on my 3.0 ports?

7 Posts

February 18th, 2012 15:00

Same problem here! We bought several of those for our lab, and we can't get usb 3.0 ports to work. It is totally frustrating, and we would like to know where is the problem? Drivers from the DELL'a web page are worthless. We have seen quite a lot of the post with the same issue. Is it the hardware or software issue!?

Anybody??

1 Message

May 8th, 2012 10:00

Are you still having the same problem? I am considering purchasing a Dell inspiron 17r n7110 right now.  Did Dell fix the issue?  Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks

7 Posts

May 11th, 2012 05:00

Yes it is fixed. The problem was that the drivers on the DELL's official page were wrong. Drivers from fresco logic were installed and everything works perfectly. I don't know if they replaced the drivers on their page, but if you need the drivers them I will sent them to you.

Here is the link to my other post where this issue was resolved:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19437521/20060196.aspx#20060196

An if I may add I think laptops are great, and you will not go wrong if you buy them.

10 Posts

June 24th, 2012 12:00

I just checked the dell driver page and it still shows the drivers which this forum says don't work.  My 17R came with Windows 7 Pro and when I check the config with SIW, it shows only USB2 is supported.  Since I really don't need USB3 for any of my peripherals other than occasional use of an external hard drive, what should I do here?  I'm reluctant to fix something that isn't exactly broken...

1 Message

March 22nd, 2013 12:00

I'm having trouble with the USB ports on my dell Inspiron 17r model with Windows 8.

I had just bought it yesterday and I plugged in my USG Logitech 3 button wheel mouse no problems yesterday and now it seems I can't get the ports to work. (I tested this by putting a flash drive inside all of the USB ports. Neither of the two USB ports work.) I don't know what I did and I want to do all I can to try to fix it so I don't have to RMA this laptop.

Has anyone had this trouble with their USB ports with similar models?

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 20:00

I have found a fix. It is NOT a driver issue. I reflowed the NEC usb 3.0 controller chip. It fixes the issues of it disappearing or not being there at all  and The issue that keeps the machine restarting after shutdown. :)

10 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 06:00

What does "reflowed" mean?  What exactly did you do?

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 18:00

Just google it. :)

Its the same process as reflowing a laptop gpu

No Events found!