Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2012 07:00

Using a headphone mic with a Dell Latitude 5520

Hi, my company recently gave me a Dell Latitude 5520 which has the new combo headphone/mic jacks in it. I have a Logitech ClearChat headphone with a mic that has two 3.5mm jacks. One for the headphone and the other for the mic.

How do I use this headphone mic in this combo jack? when I plug it in, nothing happens. When I try and enable the 'Jack Mic' under Recording Devices it still doesn't work.

I have a Windows 7 Enterprise Edition and the audio driver is IDT High Definition Audio.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2012 20:00

How do I use this headphone mic in this combo jack?

You can't -- you can only use the headphone. The contacts in the jack are in the wrong place for a normal mic plug to work.

I don't know why they are putting those combo jacks in the laptops. They are smart phone technology, not audio gear. To get a mic to work you need to get an adapter.  Look at the Headset Buddy to see the type of phone adapter you need.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=headset+buddy&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4165184575&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16716668670426811&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_7vipyh1ys_e

March 22nd, 2012 22:00

I agree. Its not fair to push folks to use USB headsets this way. I do have one of these and it didnt work with that too. Is there some specific software or drivers I need to install? I installed all the audio drivers from the website.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2012 05:00

You don't have to install any driver for a usb headset. It should work automatically when plugged in. If not go to the Playback tab of the Sound properties dialog and select them as the default device. If not listed right click in the white area and select to show disabled and/or disconnected devices and see if there.

I wouldn't say they are pushing usb headsets because you can use a smart phone headset or an adapter for a normal headset.

No Events found!