Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2015 04:00

Video Card Issue After Updating from windows 8 to Windows 8.1

Sir,

I am using a Dell Inspiron 15 (3521, Late 2012) laptop having a AMD Radeon HD 7670M, intel HD 4000 dual switchable graphics card. The laptop came preloaded with windows 8. However when I updated my laptop to windows 8.1 and updated all drivers to the latest version from dell. After updating the graphics drivers my screen went blank and would not turn on. On restarting the screen went blank as soon as it reached the login screen. I was able to correct this by doing a system restore to my previous drivers. Now the screen is no longer blank, However there are several problems associated with the graphics driver now.

1) The windows hybrid boot and hibernate features are missing and shows that these freatures are not supported by the current graphics driver. Hence the system boot is extremely slow.

2) Many of the applications from the windows store are not supported, and the few that works such as the store app itself shows blank screen untill you hover the mouse above sections so that they start to appear.

3)The login screen itself has the same issue as with the store apps. I have to either select the password text box or hover above it to make it visible, the picture on lock screen and account picture is not being loaded etc.

All these are somehow manageable however the following is not.

4)Most of my games cannot be played in full screen mode as the screen constantly flickers with black screen or numerous vertical lines. This issue is only manageable when I switch the game to windowed mode that seems to rectify this issue. However most of the games dont support such  features.

5)The display adapter crashes on using applications that use graphics card such as photoshop, android emulators and android studio, unity game engine or such applications.

I have tried installing the latest drivers and previous versions as well but the issue is not being solved. I have learned that this issue is common in laptops having dual AMD/Inte HD graphics card. Kindly reply to this post as this issue is really downgrading my experience of using the Laptop. 

Yours Faithfully

Ashith

April 18th, 2015 06:00

I have already installed the latest drivers (all including BIOS and other Hardware )from the Dell support website, I tried with those from the AMD website too, however that caused compatiability issues with the intel HD driver resulting in either the blank screen or no detection of the AMD card at all.

Sorry about the Service tag:emotion-10:

I dont think I will be going back to Windows 8. I hope something good happens when windows 10  turns up.

Thank you for the quick support :)

2K Posts

Also, please do not post the service tag or your contact details on a public forum as it is your personal info.

2K Posts

Hi Ashith,

Restart the system and press f2 to enter BIOS. Go to boot tab and ensure secure boot = disabled. Save and exit. Restart the system. Go to amd.com and download the drivers manually for the graphics model. Download both catalyst suite and the beta drivers (of late there are issues with the drivers being released on amd site). Go to control panel -> programs and features -> uninstall the existing drivers.

Update the BIOS from support.dell.com - http://dell.to/1Pwntme - enter the service tag and select drivers and downloads and run the BIOS update.

Restart the system and install the new video drivers you have downloaded earlier. If the catalyst suite fails to install, make sure you remove the any video drivers installed as part of the suite -> restart the system and then try the beta drivers. Ideally this should work. If the beta drivers fail to work as well, then try downloading the video drivers from support.dell.com and check.

If nothing works, then you might have to refresh the OS to go back to windows 8 and start all over again.

Keep us updated.

2K Posts

April 18th, 2015 14:00

Ashith,

Have you disabled the secure boot in BIOS? This might fix the issue.

As for Win10, I am not sure if your system would be compatible for it - as it is too early for us to confirm the same.

Please reply if you need any further assistance.

17 Posts

July 27th, 2015 06:00

Hello.

I have similar problems. I've recently bought a DELL Inspiron 15-3000 (EARLY 2014) 3542 with Intel HD4400 + Nvidia graphics. The original OS was Ubuntu Linux. I have installed Windows 8.1 64bit, but when I have installed the INTEL HD Graphics driver from DELL website (latest) or let Windows Update to do the same the screen is going to blank and it remains until I've removed the Intel HD Graphics driver. Another solution If I simply disable the intel graphics driver in Device Manager and then re-enable it (connecting to the laptop through microsoft remote desktop) then the screen is back until the next reboot. I have also a question: Will Dell release drivers for this laptop for Windows 10?

Please advise,

Thanks,

Balazs

2K Posts

July 29th, 2015 17:00

Hi Balazs,

Did you face this issue while on Linux as well, or did the issue start after you installed Windows?

Download the Intel drivers from - http://intel.ly/1DbVy81

Download the nvidia drivers from geforce.com for you graphics model.

Uninstall the existing video drivers.

Update the BIOS from support.dell.com - http://dell.to/1Pwntme - enter the service tag and select drivers and downloads and run the BIOS update.

Now, DO NOT install any video drivers - check the system if the display stays on all the time. Then proceed with only the Intel drivers first, check the system and then install the nvidia drivers and check.

If this does not work, try using a new local admin account and check the same on that account.

Keep us updated.

P.S. As for the W10 drivers, we do not have an official confirmation yet. You might have to possibly check on the support site after a few weeks for any availability.

July 30th, 2015 09:00

I don't know if it will help but try uninstalling both the intel and Nvidia drivers first, then get the latest driver for Nvidia from dell for your model and install it. Finally let intel HD be updated on its own. Basically try all combinations and see what works for you. That was how I had my problem partially. I lost the features like fast boot and hibernate and most of the store apps became incompatible but I can live with that cause my normal apps and games run without much headache. 

P.S getting the latest drivers from The Nvidia or Intel Websites themselves is not a good idea. Dell has customized the drivers so that the two works together, the automatic switching method is built by dell so getting a driver from outside may break that mechanism. 

Finally I am not professional at this so you don't  have to follow my advice, thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 30th, 2015 09:00

The video issues are problems with cooperation between INTEL and NVIDIA.

If your cpu doesn't have INTEL HD Graphics there are no issues.

These issues are not attributable to dell specifically.  The INTEL HD and NVIDIA Drivers or ATI Drivers are tightly integrated.  Updating one or the other will cause problems.

No Events found!